Options

New Microsoft Exam format

elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
Looks like Microsoft have rolled out their new exam format (albeit in a limited fashion so far)
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exams/83-640.aspx

Anyone know what the Performance based component actually refers to?

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Looks like Microsoft have rolled out their new exam format (albeit in a limited fashion so far)
    TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

Anyone know what the Performance based component actually refers to?
    I don't think this is new - I believe they're referring to simulations.

EDIT: wait, I reread that...it is a new version of the exam. Hrm. Maybe it's just more intensive simulations, or more of a "lab-like" component? Probably to cut down on brain dumpers I suppose.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Yeah its the one they were Beta-ing just before Christmas. If it does cut down on dumping and promote more real world skills rather than the "guess which number I'm thinking of" reading comprehension style of some of the exams then it'll be a big improvement.

If it is more sims based then one thing it will mean is slower responses at the testing centres and a lot more problems, any time I've had delays at any testing centre they always blame it on the load sims put on their systems.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you have to carry out tasks in a virtualized environment (sims on steroids). Astorrs participated in the beta, if this is the same thing.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I did the beta as well and I would agree that it is sims on steroids. I like it much better. No more click-guessing the answers.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Essentially you are getting an RDP connection into a lab environment that you are then required to perform a number of tasks. How you choose to do them is not limited (like they could be in sims). I really like them and this is definitely the future, the number of possible tasks can be increased to the point where "learning the pool of questions", like braindumpers do, would be more effort than just learning the material. This is a very good thing in my books. Can't really tell you anymore without violating the NDA.