Options

Just to make sure I get this...

Am I right in saying there is no fault tolerance on XP what so ever, unless you backup? For example basic disk doesnt offer any for windows Xp. As well as Dynamic. If you want best performace on XP you would go for a Dynamic striped volume?
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    knownhero wrote: »
    Am I right in saying there is no fault tolerance on XP what so ever, unless you backup? For example basic disk doesnt offer any for windows Xp. As well as Dynamic. If you want best performace on XP you would go for a Dynamic striped volume?
    Yup, you can only get fault tolerance with a third party solution, and striping would give you better performance than with spanned volumes.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Thanks for the reply! Thought I was right. Got exam on Friday 6th. Hope I pass just re-reading the stuff I have trouble with.

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    good luck, let us know how it goes! :)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    will do! :D

• Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is one of those gotchas. Motherboards with raid built in have been around for a while now. All it takes is an f6 floppy to set up windows on mirrored raid volume. My desktop is setup with both raid 0 and raid one arrays. Xp installed on a raid 0 and my docs is on a raid 1.
    But OFFICIALLY Windows only does striping.
    Also remember that officially you cant backup to CDrom ro DVDrom.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That's using a third party solution for the raid. For a software raid, managed by windows and not your raid controller, you are stuck with what XP gives. So for the extent that the exam covers you only have striping available under XP.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knownhero wrote: »

Be careful in your wording too, because a backup is not considered "fault tolerance", but rather a backup falls into the "disaster recovery" defintion. I am pretty sure Microsoft makes this distinction - someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    sprkymrk wrote: »
    Be careful in your wording too, because a backup is not considered "fault tolerance", but rather a backup falls into the "disaster recovery" defintion. I am pretty sure Microsoft makes this distinction - someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

You are so right!!!!!!
    close to MCSA!!
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    That's using a third party solution for the raid. For a software raid, managed by windows and not your raid controller, you are stuck with what XP gives. So for the extent that the exam covers you only have striping available under XP.
    TRUE!
    I was just pointing out one of the pitfalls of studying for 70-270.
    Our practical experience (windows certainly does run raid 1)
    clashes with the official word (no raid 1 on windows!)
    The official explanation is that raid 1 requires 3rd party solutions. That's not good enough for me. Installing a printer usually requires a driver right? And windows supports those. Windows supports lots of things "with a driver" that it doenst support out of the box.
    But it's important to be mindful of the difference between your experience and what you need to know to pass the test!
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.