Options

TechNet Plus..

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
For $349 for unlimited trial software (I'm thinking about home labs and learning here...)

Is it worth it? Anyone else do this? icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    hey - I just sent you a pm on this, but there may be student discounts on technet subscriptions...and also check your school to see if they're a member of the Academic Alliance - it may work out better to just get cheap software as you need it rather than pay for the technet subscription (and the ACM membership comes with access to the MSDN academic alliance too, hopefully we'll be able to access that today or tomorrow...)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm in a chat with a Microsoft customer service rep. now in regards to a student discount for TechNet.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    very cool...hopefully there IS one, there's lots of google hits about student discount memberships but nothing official from MS
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By the way - it is not quite trial software - it gives you a full license per user for education purposes etc.

So it is ie. a full Vista license but you are not allowed to install it in a production environment ..

And yes - it is well worth it - if you intend to buy any Microsoft as retail you might as well go for technet ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey quick question. I didn't realize that technet plus came with all that it does but I am wondering if someone that has it can tell me this:

Does it allow you to DL server 2003 enterprise or just standard?
    what e-learning courses does it come with?
    and what version of server 08 does it come with?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Neither of those answered my questions. I already looked at those and the only info is you get some e-learning it doesnt say what you get exactly and it also says you get access to server 2003 r2 and server 2008 but doest say which one ie if its standard or enterprise?
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You get access to all versions except '03 Datacenter, or at least that's what my account is showing.

If you're going to get a subscription, search for promotions, they regularly have $100+ discounts.
  • Options
    Awesome thanks for the info. I want to get this for when I go for my MCSE so i dont have to pay $1000 for 03 enterprise. Trials arent enough for me I want the full version or nothing at all. Thats just me though.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Here you go:

Search Subscriber Downloads, Get Product Keys
    Includes: Enterprise and Datacenter and Standard Editions;
    As well as the apps/OSs in the menu on the left of that page. Unless your employer can provide it for you it's definitely a good deal for anyone going for Microsoft certifications and/or simply work in a Microsoft environment.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Johan. This is awesome I thought I would be forkin out some major $ for the MCSE to get the O/S but this is by far the best way of going about it.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Are you actively an IT Pro?

You can get technet+ for free, if so.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    hey - I just sent you a pm on this, but there may be student discounts on technet subscriptions...and also check your school to see if they're a member of the Academic Alliance - it may work out better to just get cheap software as you need it rather than pay for the technet subscription (and the ACM membership comes with access to the MSDN academic alliance too, hopefully we'll be able to access that today or tomorrow...)

MSDN Academic Alliance is included with the ACM Student memberships. I signed up for the ACM Student membership after skrpune posted about it some time ago, and I have been enjoying the MSDN Academic Alliance included for about a month and a half now. You absolutely cannot beat the price unless your school already has it free (Student membership was like $20). In addition, you get free access to a lot of E-books, and CBT's from Skillsoft.

I highly suggest it.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    Are you actively an IT Pro?

You can get technet+ for free, if so.

Care to elaborate? I suspect you are thinking of something else, perhaps the free Technet Magazine for IT pro's. Microsoft would not take a paid subscription for a resource catered towards IT professionals, and give it away for free.
  • Options
    spike_tomahawkspike_tomahawk Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dont forget to google discount codes also, found one (the first hit on google) and it knocked off $100. And we all know how far a $100 bucks goes.............right to ebay for a switch, router, or server.
  • Options
    Care to elaborate? I suspect you are thinking of something else, perhaps the free Technet Magazine for IT pro's. Microsoft would not take a paid subscription for a resource catered towards IT professionals, and give it away for free.

Actually, they do.

www.itpromomentum.com

but you cant sign up there, you have to sign up through a microsoft evangelist such as this guy:

[MSFT-BE] Arlindo's Blog - IT Pro Evangelist : IT Pro Momentum Program: New Technologies

Im glad you discounted my comment as me misunderstanding or something. I know that IT Pros can get technet+ for free because I have my free subscription right now.
  • Options
    Actually, they do.

www.itpromomentum.com

but you cant sign up there, you have to sign up through a microsoft evangelist such as this guy:

[MSFT-BE] Arlindo's Blog - IT Pro Evangelist : IT Pro Momentum Program: New Technologies

Im glad you discounted my comment as me misunderstanding or something. I know that IT Pros can get technet+ for free because I have my free subscription right now.

I would hardly consider that "free". While there is no monetary cost associated, there is your time involved to test and provide feedback on emerging products. I also suspect that it's not as easy as "hey I'm interested!" and you're in. It looks like a good opportunity for somebody who wants to invest some time looking at some beta products and providing feedback, but if it's something that Microsoft is going to revoke memberships from due to lack of participation then it would not be for me. My apologies if post struck a nerve (it appears to have), perhaps it could have been avoided if you would have provided this input in your first post when you mentioned the prospect of a free subscription - seems logical to me.
  • Options
    I would hardly consider that "free". While there is no monetary cost associated, there is your time involved to test and provide feedback on emerging products. I also suspect that it's not as easy as "hey I'm interested!" and you're in. It looks like a good opportunity for somebody who wants to invest some time looking at some beta products and providing feedback, but if it's something that Microsoft is going to revoke memberships from due to lack of participation then it would not be for me. My apologies if post struck a nerve (it appears to have), perhaps it could have been avoided if you would have provided this input in your first post when you mentioned the prospect of a free subscription - seems logical to me.

You obviously still have some kind of problem.

I sent an email, i got a free subscription. Done.

You are ASKED to provide feedback at the end of the year, but not required. So im going to spend the year enjoying my free Technet+ while you have none and laugh the whole way. If in the end i have to spend 10 minutes giving feedback to save 500$ then thats MORE than welcome. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    You obviously still have some kind of problem.

I sent an email, i got a free subscription. Done.

You are ASKED to provide feedback at the end of the year, but not required. So im going to spend the year enjoying my free Technet+ while you have none and laugh the whole way. If in the end i have to spend 10 minutes giving feedback to save 500$ then thats MORE than welcome. icon_rolleyes.gif

Here is the problem that lies within. If everybody is going into this with the same approach as you are, do you sincerely believe Microsoft will continue to offer this if they get little back out of it in terms of feedback? Unlikely, and if they did - there is a good possibility applicants would be more closely scrutinized. I personally have the integrity to follow through with my word, and if I was asked to provide feedback, I would feel obligated to do so - since I do not have the time, I would not join the program since I would have nothing to contribute.

There is no need to laugh the whole way, I work for a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and I have access to all of the support and software licensing needed for our lab. I also have a personal MSDN Academic Alliance membership which cost a meager $19 and provides me with all of the software I need for my lab at home, as well as 1000's of E-books and CBT's (see previous post if interested).

Thank you though, you did provide a very great option for people who would actually like to put in a fair amount of effort in exchange for the resources Microsoft is giving you for participation.
  • Options
    Here is the problem that lies within. If everybody is going into this with the same approach as you are, do you sincerely believe Microsoft will continue to offer this if they get little back out of it in terms of feedback? Unlikely, and if they did - there is a good possibility applicants would be more closely scrutinized. I personally have the integrity to follow through with my word, and if I was asked to provide feedback, I would feel obligated to do so - since I do not have the time, I would not join the program since I would have nothing to contribute.

There is no need to laugh the whole way, I work for a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and I have access to all of the support and software licensing needed for our lab. I also have a personal MSDN Academic Alliance membership which cost a meager $19 and provides me with all of the software I need for my lab at home, as well as 1000's of E-books and CBT's (see previous post if interested).

Thank you though, you did provide a very great option for people who would actually like to put in a fair amount of effort in exchange for the resources Microsoft is giving you for participation.

Not everybody works for a Microsoft Partner or gets things provided to them at no cost through their employer. I actually have MSDN through my employer as well, but thats irrelevant.

Like i said, if you dont have 10 minutes to complete a phone or email interview then you obviously has some poor time managment skills.

If you think 10 minutes is ridiculous to save 500$, then you have some poor moeny management skills.
  • Options
    Like i said, if you dont have 10 minutes to complete a phone or email interview then you obviously has some poor time managment skills.

If you think 10 minutes is ridiculous to save 500$, then you have some poor moeny management skills.

If you think 10 minutes is all Microsoft expects you to genuinely put into their offer, then you have a poor sense of reality. This has gone too far off topic, if you want to continue to debate this, PM me.
  • Options
    If you think 10 minutes is all Microsoft expects you to genuinely put into their offer, then you have a poor sense of reality. This has gone too far off topic, if you want to continue to debate this, PM me.

The following is a quote from Keith Combs (MS Evangelist) blog about the program.

"There is one small ask with the program, if you want to participate you will be required to share your experience with the world, via post on my blog, or an interview on the phone that I will screencast."

10 mins might be a little short but it sure wouldnt taken more than half an hour or so.

I certainly wouldnt even think ONE hour of time is something that even you, god, could not give up to save 500$.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    The following is a quote from Keith Combs (MS Evangelist) blog about the program.

"There is one small ask with the program, if you want to participate you will be required to share your experience with the world, via post on my blog, or an interview on the phone that I will screencast."

10 mins might be a little short but it sure wouldnt taken more than half an hour or so.

I certainly wouldnt even think ONE hour of time is something that even you, god, could not give up to save 500$.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't mind flaming :p

I must thank you, because I didn't know about this program and I got a nice email today :
    Welcome to IT Pro Momentum, Microsoft’s early adopter program for IT Professionals. The Momentum program is designed to provide IT Professionals like you easy access to the latest and greatest information for new and emerging Microsoft technologies.

Microsoft is committed to ensuring that IT Pros engaged in our early adopter programs have all the resources necessary to build their projects. Once enrolled in the Momentum Portal, you will be able to view program information and supported technologies. You will also be able to profile your project, search for content and trainings, get technical support, and give Microsoft feedback.

icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    Just got my Technet Plus subs :D (FREEEEEEEEEEEE)
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did you manage that?

The last time I looked a Technet Direct sub was around £200 even with the discount code.....
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks!

I didn't even look to see that this was a 2 page thread....
  • Options
    Thanks!

I didn't even look to see that this was a 2 page thread....

But they won't accept you if you just send a 1-liner with "I want" :)

Be a bit creative :):)
  • Options
    I sent my request to be included in the program written in the localised dialect of Tuareg tribesmen.

Do you think that will pique their interest? icon_wink.gif

Just kidding, but as you say the least you can do when faced with a signicant potential reward is to explain why you feel justified in asking and offer to partcipate in the feedback and exchange of ideas relating to the program.