Options

Guess who got a new job...

ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
This guy right here.

I just got the offer letter for what may turn out to be the perfect job for me. I will be leaving internal IT and returning to the faster-paced world of consulting and I couldn't be happier about it! While I have been looking for a new job for a couple of months, I didn't put any real effort into the search until January and this position came along a week later. Not only do the requirements for the position match my resume almost exactly, the position and company are a perfect match for what I was seeking. All these requirements don't come together often and I jumped at the chance. The process took a few weeks and several interviews, but I got the offer and a new job as a Microsoft Infrastructure Architect.

I haven't been happy in my current position for a little while, but honestly I just outgrew it and I needed to move on to move up. My (now) former employer did not value training or certifications and didn't compensate for either. I had to finance everything on my own, but that just motivated me more and the work paid off with a new job. Now I will get all of my exams paid for as well as a personal training budget and I will be expected to stay current. It's amazing how the attitude towards training changes when you move from a place where IT is a cost center to where it is a profit center.

Money and training are nice, but the best part is this a new branch of a large consulting firm and I am getting in at the start of the infrastructure practice here. I will get to help build the business and the team while the office expands. I really couldn't ask for a better opportunity right now.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice. I'm starting to find myself in the exact same situation you described. Hopefully I'll have as much luck as you did.
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Nothing like the perfect job landing in your lap!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great job to boot! Everyone getting these new jobs these days gives me hope that something will come through for me soon.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    way to go! congratz!! icon_thumright.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Very cool, that does sound like a good gig. Is the pay about the same?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Shiz StainShiz Stain Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz ^^

way to go man and good luck on the new job
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :) I think I'll be posting my own story soon. ;)
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity for you.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    seems im a little late to the party, but CONGRATS!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Very cool, that does sound like a good gig. Is the pay about the same?

It's a slight bump, but there are alternative revenue streams that are important. Bonuses, a training budget and better health benefits definitely make the position more attractive. I prefer to evaluate compensation as a total package rather than just a number on a check.

Don't be afraid to ask for different things during salary negotiations. The HR compensation committee may limit what is available in salary at each position so try asking for things that either come from a different budget or things that have value to you and maybe not to them. Once I even asked for (and received) an additional week of vacation when a company wouldn't meet my salary requirements.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well Done mate!!

Good luck with the role!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Claymoore wrote: »
    It's a slight bump, but there are alternative revenue streams that are important. Bonuses, a training budget and better health benefits definitely make the position more attractive. I prefer to evaluate compensation as a total package rather than just a number on a check.

Don't be afraid to ask for different things during salary negotiations. The HR compensation committee may limit what is available in salary at each position so try asking for things that either come from a different budget or things that have value to you and maybe not to them. Once I even asked for (and received) an additional week of vacation when a company wouldn't meet my salary requirements.

I completely agree. A slight bump in this economy is very good as well.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)