Options

quit job for onforce?

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a very entry level IT job at a poultry company with little pay. But I have been here a year and it is full time. I have a Bachelor's degree, MCP, A+, Network+, and I am one test shy of completing MCSA. But I dont like my job. Theres nothing much to it and theres no possible movement up in the company. I have been thinking about trying my luck with OnForce or some company like it. I am supposed to call a guy about a part time onsite tech -- drive time paid. The pay is 10 - 15 per hour. I looked the owners name up and he has used onforce for his technicians. I currently make 12.50 per hour. Im wondering if taking a job with this guy would be a dumb move. Any ideas? I desperately want out of where I am. The company is bankrupt.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What financial responsibilities do you have? Rent/mortgage, loans/debts, wife/kids, etc.?

It seems like it would be difficult to replace a full-time salary with OnForce, but it could probably be used as supplemental income for part-time work. Just keep in mind that it's a race between techs to accept a ticket, so your chances of getting work is going to depend on the number of techs in the area and your schedule in addition to the availability of the actual work.

I'd hit up the part-time gig if you're in a good financial situation, and you think it'll offer better experience for you.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    if the company you work for is going down and you may lose your job anyway, then that part time job might be a very good transition for you to keep sure money coming in. But if you have bills to pay and the part time job isn't cutting it, then while you're working the part time job, use your spare time to find either a second part time job or another full time job. Jobs are hard to come by and lots of jobs are going *poof*, so if you have a sure thing with this part time gig, then you might want to seriously think about taking it as at least a transitionary job.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    As the poster above me said, jobs are hard to come by. Just be looking for another full time job to replace yours with if you have debt to pay off or other obligations. I wouldn't rely on onforce as a main source of income. Once you finish your MCSA more doors will open, trust me. Especially doors that pay more than $12.50 p/h.
  • Options
    bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok. I just kind of felt overwhelmed when I started looking over what would be on the 70-291 (the beast) exam. Plus I didnt want a potential employer to frown upon one year experience and alread having an MCSA. What do you think?
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my job through **********. Most places around my area use IT staffing firms to hire contract-to-hire people, so they can see if they are a good fit for the job before being a 'permanent' hire. So feel free to email your resume to all the IT staffing agencies in your area!
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Similar co. offering positions like that here in twin cities. It is 15/hr while you are on site. You may get 1 job a day, you might get 6 plus mileage reimbursement. I would check them out a lot better.
  • Options
    chrisb0975chrisb0975 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I must have picked the wrong week to take the phone interview with OnForce because for the last 2 days, I have either not been able to get through to anyone or within 45 minutes into the 2 hour call-in window the mailbox is full and you get dropped.

Can anyone who has completed the phone interview share their experience this that process? The site is rather lacking on that information and the 2 hour call window from Tue - Thu seems rather lacking if there is high call volume.
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisb0975 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has completed the phone interview share their experience this that process? The site is rather lacking on that information and the 2 hour call window from Tue - Thu seems rather lacking if there is high call volume.

I did my phone interview back in December and it was just as you described but you just have to keep calling. I finally got through and was shocked when it happened.

One other thing to remember about working for OnForce - no benefits. Its good for extra cash and/or experience, but I don't know about making a living off of it.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    SEMSEM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I realize the system is sort of a pain to get through for a phone interview. There are only a few people conducting the interviews. If you are having real trouble shoot an e-mail to OnForce | Information Technology And Consumer Electronics Services and request a call from OnForce. This can sometimes be an easier way to get in touch.
  • Options
    SEMSEM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey I just checked the post and they are funky about allowing links through. Send the phone request to www. prosupport @ onforce .com