Options

What you think I should pursue next?

SettSett Member Posts: 187
Hi guys,

Today I passed my BSCI exam on my first try. However, the result (822) is very poor and a little unsatisfactory for me but the important thing is that it is in the past. The good thing is that I did not use any MODERATED crap, I rather fair 822 then 950-1000 with cheating ;)

I now wonder which exam to start prepare next - BCMSN or ISCW. According to me, the logical sequance is to start the switching after the routing, but I am much more interested in the MPLS and other WAN technologies that's why I wish to go with the ISCW first. Also the ISCW knowledge will be much more useful in my job - I have low level technical possition in a service provider.

How do you think? Is it OK to skip the BCMSN and to focus on the ISCW first?
Non-native English speaker

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    If ISCW is more applicable to your job, do that next. Being more interested in the content is also a plus.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I passed BCMSN last week and am working on ISCW now. I don't think you'd have any problem doing ISCW first, there isn't any advanced switching knowledge required for it.
  • Options
    ciscojay-houstonciscojay-houston Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My preference was to get the hard stuff out of the way. BCMSN was my first to get out of the way, and now working on BSCI (to be taken 2.13.09). I think I'll jump to ONT because it's got NAC and other stuff I don't konw. I'll leave ISCW for the last one because (hopefully) that will be the easiest of the 4.
    Colby did make a good point that work related material does make it easier and keep you interested. If that's the case, I would do hard, work related, less hard, work related. I hope that helps. Good luck.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My preference was to get the hard stuff out of the way. BCMSN was my first to get out of the way, and now working on BSCI (to be taken 2.13.09). I think I'll jump to ONT because it's got NAC and other stuff I don't konw. I'll leave ISCW for the last one because (hopefully) that will be the easiest of the 4.
    Colby did make a good point that work related material does make it easier and keep you interested. If that's the case, I would do hard, work related, less hard, work related. I hope that helps. Good luck.

I wouldnt take the ISCW too likely. As others have posted recently its a tricky and suprising exam.

To the OP, it doesnt matter which order you take the exams aslong as you complete the necessary ones to gain the qualification. If i were you i would start with what you work with. Thats what im doing and its helped alot. Im studying the BCMSN (i work with LANs primarily) and then go for the BSCI or ISCW then ONT.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    BleegoBleego Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too passed the BSCI and am going straight to ISCW. This is mostly because I am making my lap as I go. I only have 1 2950 switch at the moment, but I have enough routers in my Lab to be able to study ISCW with. This will give me time to buy another 2950 and hopefully get a 3550 for semi-cheap. It also helps that 1) I want to hook my lab up to a personal DSL and 2) Create an IPSEC VPN Tunnel for remote access to the lab. 3) I should probably secure my lab while doing so. :) seems like a good fit.