Options

HELP internet connection problem

momen46momen46 Banned Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there ,
I've a really strange problem here on my xp , although i'm not sure if this is the right section to post it but I'm desperate
I'm running xp home edition with sp2 , i've a TP-LINK router and it was always working fine till one day i came back home to find my connection to the internet is (limited or not connectivity )
i said , no problem , i'll check it out but i couldn't find any reason for that , i tried to log into my router and guess what , i can't even ping it , i tried every thing that i know , EVERYTHING
finally i started to think about of viruses , i did a full scan (nothing ) , i did a full format for my hard drive and got a fresh xp ( still the same ) , i started to go crazy , Vista ultimate ( still the same ) So some people might say " oh idiot ur NIC broke down " guess what ? i'm using it now using Linux and i've no problem with it even when i setup a network using xp it's still working
when i type " ipconfig/all " i can see that dhcp enable:no
although i did obtained my ip addresses on my network connection
Now i donno what to do

HELP

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    ping your loop back address which 127.0.0.1 just to see if your TCP/IP stack is fine. Next try releasing your ip address (ipconfig /release) then renew it (ipconfig /renew). You might want to try to connect directly to your modem etc and see if the router is the problem. Have you tried to reset it?
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    ladiesman217 - You on IMDB with this name? Or just a fan of Transformers! :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    Idid ping 127.0.0.1 and it's working

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-eccabd1131
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 B
    e-T Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EF-9F-E9-F7-F7-F7
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to c
    tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
  • Options
    momen46 wrote: »

Windows IP Configuration

e-T Controller

Windows IP Configuration

It seems something's wrong with your DHCP server. 255.255.255.255 is the limited broadcast address. Most SOHO routers is using 192.168.0.1 or 1.2 in the class C range. Try to reset your router or do a firmware upgrade. Let us know how it went.
  • Options
    knownhero wrote: »
    ladiesman217 - You on IMDB with this name? Or just a fan of Transformers! :D

Yeah just a fan.. are you? :)
  • Options
    Yeah just a fan.. are you? :)

Yeah too right! Transformers FTW! ROTF trailer is out now also looks SICK! and I ask as there is a Ladiesman217 on there. :D I know its the interwebz but it's a small world and thought Id ask lol

• Options

Windows IP Configuration

e-T Controller

Windows IP Configuration

Did you try turning it on and off?

• Options
    i did a restart
    i did a turn on and off for sure
    i was thinking of the firmware but it's working great on linux and it was working on xp till a month ago
    i'm going crazy here
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you tried giving yourself a static IP address and seeing if you have connectivity with that?
  • Options
    when i do it with a static ip i have a connectivity but i still can't log in to the web
  • Options
    when i do it with a static ip i have a connectivity but i still can't log in to the web

have you set your default gateway?
  • Options
    have you set your default gateway?

Yes , i did icon_smile.gif
  • Options

Do you mean by having a connectivity you can ping your router? It can be a missed configuration.If you're using IE try going to LAN settings then check automatically detect settings or better just use firefox.
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Access your routers setup through Linux and look for a "reset to factory defaults", save then exit and restart windows. Delete the LAN connection and then set up a new one.

Failing that, search the web for your routers model and the same characteristics of failure. ie google search: router_manufacturer router_model "unable to contact DHCP server"
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    there should also be a reset button on the back of the router...if you want to clear ALL settings & return to factory defaults, you'll have to probably press it more than once. (If I press my reset once, it gives is a soft slap upside the head & keeps the settings, but if I press it twice or more, it clears out all settings.)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    there should also be a reset button on the back of the router...if you want to clear ALL settings & return to factory defaults, you'll have to probably press it more than once. (If I press my reset once, it gives is a soft slap upside the head & keeps the settings, but if I press it twice or more, it clears out all settings.)

Hehe, yeah, I have to hold mine down for a bit to do a real reset.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    Its could also be an ip conflict 0.0.0.0.0 usually means that or a cable isnt in or bust...right?

• Options
    but then he wouldn't be able to get on at all, but he can get on using linux
  • Options
    aquageek wrote: »
    but then he wouldn't be able to get on at all, but he can get on using linux

Yeah linux could be using a different ip?

• Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You said that you have tried to give a static ip. But what ip address did you give? Have you look the ip your linux have and give this same ip to the XP PC? Try to give the same ip, gateway and dns configuration you had with your linux. And could you get an XP laptop to just confirm it is not your NIC card.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    Oh! maybe - I know nothing about Linux. :) I was just referring to the busted cable. :)
  • Options
    Tontonsam wrote: »
    You said that you have tried to give a static ip. But what ip address did you give? Have you look the ip your linux have and give this same ip to the XP PC? Try to give the same ip, gateway and dns configuration you had with your linux. And could you get an XP laptop to just confirm it is not your NIC card.

I did that also , but no change
    it's working great on laptops , i've no problems
    i think it's about the hard disk but i'm not sure, i did a full format anyway
  • Options
    ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use the following DNS settings:

primary: 212.23.3.100
    secondary: 212.23.6.100

They are ZEN DNS servers
  • Options
    eihceteihcet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i started to go crazy , Vista ultimate ( still the same ) So some people might say " oh idiot ur NIC broke down " guess what ? i'm using it now using Linux and i've no problem with it even when i setup a network using xp it's still working
    when i type " ipconfig/all " i can see that dhcp enable:no
    although i did obtained my ip addresses on my network connection
    Now i donno what to do

HELP

Seems to be something with the drivers and/or windows, as Linux and the ExpressGate options also work. My experience is similar to you. This thread: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- cable Lan Not working [Solved]
    Seems to show a few fixes, and the one that worked for me was manually entering in the MAC address in the driver address field. However, a few days later and it's stopped working again... but only in Windows.

I've tried multiple driver versions, no go. I even fresh installed Vista, no go.

Linux, works great.

I have a feeling this is related to the latest bios for my M3A-H, as it was working fine up until and for about a week or two after I upgraded, but, that's really the only thing that's changed in some time. I tried all the other suggestions in that thread and it's still not working in Vista but Linux works great... so not hardware (I assume).
  • Options
    ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eihcet wrote: »
    Seems to be something with the drivers and/or windows, as Linux and the ExpressGate options also work. My experience is similar to you. This thread: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- cable Lan Not working [Solved]
    Seems to show a few fixes, and the one that worked for me was manually entering in the MAC address in the driver address field. However, a few days later and it's stopped working again... but only in Windows.

I've tried multiple driver versions, no go. I even fresh installed Vista, no go.

Linux, works great.

I have a feeling this is related to the latest bios for my M3A-H, as it was working fine up until and for about a week or two after I upgraded, but, that's really the only thing that's changed in some time. I tried all the other suggestions in that thread and it's still not working in Vista but Linux works great... so not hardware (I assume).

But it was working fine and then randomly stopped...