Options

Network + Exam difficulties??

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
Im studying for the Network + and it just seems like its gonna be an easy test to pass.
Im studying cables, connectors, and basic networking technologies...
Is this basically the tone of the test? If not , whats the most difficult part to study for , for this exam?

Comments

• Options
    sosman0sosman0 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This exam is not easy, There will be some things on the exam that are not covered by any of the books, examples network troubleshooting questions
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Im studying for the Network + and it just seems like its gonna be an easy test to pass.
    Is this basically the tone of the test? If not , whats the most difficult part to study for , for this exam?

I never took the N+ but I understand there is a lot of minutia on the exam. I shouldn't underestimate it. You will need to study a fair amount of details to be properly prepared for the actual test. But it is an entry level certification, so put the work in and you should be fine. You should find good feedback from the N+ folks on here.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Everybody's exam is different, so you will have some people saying that it was easy, but my experience was not like that. I saw stuff that I swear wasn't covered in any of my various sources. And believe me, I used several sources - two books, multiple study guides, CBT Nuggets, internet research, etc. I was surprised by my exam. If I had taken it when I originally planned to, I certainly would have failed.

So I'd agree with the other posters here and say do not underestimate it. You might be "lucky" and get a tough mix of questions. Know the objectives backwards & forwards. Know your protocols, OSI layers, hardware, NOS's & interoperability & protocols they use, cables, connectors...and the list goes on. The subject matter of the test isn't rocket science, but there's a very broad range of topics that you need to know and you need to know them well to be sure to do well on the exam.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

I took the test a little over a year ago. Here's what I had to say about it:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/network/26732-just-passed-n10-003-a.html
  • Options
    gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tend to agree what others have posted. I took the test last week. The test was pretty hard...mostly because the wording on the exam questions (for me) were pretty vague. If I didn't get my hands on as many reading materials as I did.. I would have surely failed.

That being said, everybody is different..and there are a lot of different test versions that you might get.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Just depends on the person.

No, I don't think this is a difficult exam. However, if you go in over confident or do not know the objectives well....you can fail it (and people do).

But there is no reason, a person who uses this material, reads the Meyers book or the Sybex book, and understands the objectives should struggle to pass.

Be confident, but not over-confident.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a tough exam because of the the broad span of materials.
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its definitely slightly harder than the A+, because the A+ is broken into different exams, the N+ is only one. Considering i had already done my A+, MCP 70-270 & 70-290 when i took my N+ test in Dec 08, i was surprised to see how hard it actually was, and the first 10 questions really made me start to think if i had revised properly! Just do your revision and dont under estimate it! its not as easy as you might think!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of sitting this soon after I sit my ICND2 exam on Wednesday. Looking at the topics it seems like most things are covered and there would only be a small amount to learn for this exam, such as the cable testers, detailed wiring information, cable specifications etc. Im wondering if how much further study would be needed for the exam, I might go and book it soon.
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6