Options

XP SP2 blocks zipped .exe file from install

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I've had to remotely install a small program on certain users machines. On 44 out of 45 installs yesterday and some finishing today, the install went fine. This last one has me a bit baffled.

I log in remotely, go to unzip the program into the specified folder, and all files copy with the exception of the exe file. I get a message saying it was blocked, and to click for further info. I do so, and am told that XP blocks certain files received in email from installing. Ok, fine by me. Next Im told, copy the program to the computer in question, right click and under properties you can click it allowing it to be installed.

Nope, that wont work. One, it wont copy - XP blocks it from doing so. Two, it has no option to unblock under properties.

Granted, it will install fine from cd, and I can burn one and they will have it tomorrow, but their manager really wants them to start using it today. I even tried putting it on an ftp site, and still get same error. Looking for suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are there any other software or policies that are being applied to that specific computer? I can't recall ever experiencing that type of behavior on a default XP configuration.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nope, it is stock just like all the others out there. Its a weird issue for sure.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Two things:

First, unblock the program. Right-click on the file, go to Properties, and then click on the Unblock button at the bottom of the window.

Second, make sure the server is in the Intranet zone or Trusted site list in IE on the workstation. Usually I have only seen this solution to the problem when it is server-server with IE in enhanced security mode, but check anyway if the first step doesn't work.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll second Claymoore's second point. I encountered this over the weekend, and that was exactly it.