Options

My new path in Networking!

mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
Summer 2007, I decided that I wanted to move toward something network engineering related and move away from quality engineering in enterprise server systems development. I wasn't too fond of 14 hour work days and having to fly to San Jose on a weekly basis, IMHO. I didn't feel like my career was going the direction that I wanted, so I started working on certifications to strengthen my resume. M-F, 4-6 hours after work, I would study at a cafe. Trying to leave my weekends free to recover and relax from the week prior.

After completion of CCNA, I started looking for entry level positions in networking. Since I did not have any experience in that area, looking for NOC positions seemed like the best bet. 3 months after obtaining CCNA, I found a NOC Systems Engineer Tier1/Tier2 position with a Cisco Gold Partner. This company encourages their technical staff to pursue Cisco certifications, which I like very much. They provide a lot of training material, definitely lets my bleeding wallet heal for once! ;)

Here is a breakdown of what happened:
1/22, Wednesday - Applied
1/23, Thursday - Response from HR, asked me to provide some supplemental information. Seemed like a prescreening phone interview.
1/24, Friday - Response from HR, application submitted to Hiring Manager.
1/26, Monday - 9AM: E-mailed HR in the morning, "Thank you" for submittal. 12NOON: Response from HR, request for availability for phone interview and scheduled phone interview for later that afternoon. 3PM: Phone interview with hiring manager went well. 4PM: Scheduled in-person interview via HR for the morning on Tuesday.
1/27, Tuesday - 10AM: In-person interview with hiring manager, tour of NOC, and technical exam. Interview went really well and I went home happy.
1/28, Wednesday - Mailed thank you card to hiring manager.
1/29, Thursday - 4PM: Inquiry from HR regarding my impressions of the interview and gave me feedback on the hiring manager's impression.
1/30, Friday - 1PM: Response from HR, verbal offer. HR now processing paperwork for my employment!

I am both excited and nervous. I start next week.

For those that are working or have worked in this environment, are there any pointers or anything I should be aware of so that I am not caught off guard? There is a lot of room for upward mobility and professional/career development with them. I am really looking forward to what is to come.

My current certification studying may shift according to what I might need to know for work, so I know for certain that I will make CCNP a target for this year.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats!! Very cool that they provide training materials for you too, it definitely will make the process of getting certs go a bit more smoothly!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! You've definitely earned it! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Getting a job with a Cisco Business Partner is a GREAT chance for learning and earning experience. And eventually the GREAT PAY will follow as you advance! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    That's deadly man, well done.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! i would love to learn the trade at a cisco gold partner! take advantage of the position and make the most of it!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    congrats ! working for a partner will get you priceless experience
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Monday is going to be an action packed 1st day! :)
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man and go for the gusto!icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice!!! Especially in this mess-up economy where people are losing their jobs but you'd managed to find one. Does your company pays for testing fees as well? Including CCIE? That would be awesome!
  • Options
    That's something I am interested in knowing too. I was too nervous and excited at the same time to ask... I'll ask this week. The company encourages everyone on their technical staff to shoot for CCIE. They employ 7 CCIE's on staff at that branch alone.
  • Options
    leosvleosv Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So how was your first day? I am on the same road. CCNA and A+ with no real experience in the field.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congratulations Mamono. Like you I recently started at a NOC as a Network Technician doing Tier 1 work. The work itself is a mix of tier 1 and tier 2 though, it's definately a change from the LAN side of things. Best of luck at your new job!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Its like organized chaos, but I like it! We use a combination of both Aware360 and Cisco Mars to monitor networks. I have to read a lot of documentation on NOC operations and getting up to speed on what's going on with the clients. First week, I am already answering calls, responding to network outages, logging into devices, and doing basic troubleshooting. I'm learning quite a bit from just listening to the Tier3/Tier4 engineers as they work through complex issues together. Nice to be in a very team centric work environment where everyone tries to help each other to share knowledge and expertise.

I am still not used to the 500+ e-mails per day from alerts, but trying to get used to it.
    phantasm wrote: »
    Congratulations Mamono. Like you I recently started at a NOC as a Network Technician doing Tier 1 work. The work itself is a mix of tier 1 and tier 2 though, it's definately a change from the LAN side of things. Best of luck at your new job!!

Much thanks! I agree. Its a nice breath of fresh air!
  • Options
    jeverydayjeveryday Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Great work, you are really a icon for me... I'm in school, doing my last semester now and I am going for CCNA, as first student ever to take the exam while still in class. I really hope to be able to find a job at a cisco-partner!
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.