Options

EIGRP accross a wan

fightclub34fightclub34 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the best way to get eigrp accross a mpls network. Is a gre tunnel the best way or is there a better way for eigrp to send and receive accross it. We are using a quest mpls with public ip addresses assigned by quest. I know frame relay will send eigrp accross. My goal is to get redundancy if our mpls fails i would like to failover to the framerelay.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Normally the MPLS VPN will tunnel your eigrp updates. If you want redundancy through another EIGRP connection you can just increase the delay metric or use an offset-list on the other link
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you peering with the MPLS network via BGP? If you are you may not need to ads an overlay tunnel with EIGRP.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dt we just use static routes pointing to the mpls cloud to our remote sites. We do not use bgp at all.
  • Options
    Ok, so it's a static routed solution from the service provider. You have 2 options, one is to use an overlay tunnel like you said with EIGRP. This will become cumbersome as you need add more sites and you must be very careful in how it is configured so the tunnel does not become recursive (that is the shortest route to the tunnel destination is through the tunnel). Or the other is to talk to the service provider and look into a BGP routed solution where you redistribute EIGRP into BGP then the carrier will transport them to the other sites.
  • Options
    Dt do i have any type of options for failover to the frame circuit. I have all statics pointing to the mpls cloud right now. Is there away to track the mpls circuit and if it fails the framerelay will kick in. And once the mpls comes backup up failback over to that. My whole goal here is for failover
  • Options
    You can use tracking on the MPLS circuit to withdraw the static route from the routing table, but that would only account for the failure of the local MPLS connection, not if something breaks in the cloud. You can also set up an SLA monitor (ping the other side) then track that on the static route.