Options

Exchange / outlook issue

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Has anyone had this error message when opening there outlook?:

"unable to open your default email folders. you must connect to your microsoft exchange server computer with the current profile before you can synchronise your folders with your offline folder file"

Originally i had a weird error when using outlook. Outlook would connect to my mailbox but it would just sit and say "disconnected" in the corner. So i deleted my profile etc, reconfigured and now this is the error message i get. When setting up the account the server and mailbox named are resolved OK. We are using a exchange/outlook 2003 setup and i am running this on Vista.

Now ive tested my mailbox on my desktop machine (with xp on) and it works fine. Looks like its an issue on my laptop. Looked in my vista logs, cant see anything of importance, looked in exchange logs and cant see anything.

Tried deleting the outlook data files in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Searched google and havent been able to resolve the issue with any suggestions.

ooo, also tried through OWA and works ok. Re-installed outlook on the vista laptop. no joy.

Any idea's? maybe a corrupt file locally somewhere that ive missed?

Cheers

nel
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Have you tried disabling Cached Exchange Mode?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have to agree, cache mode can do some strange things sometimes. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    How are you logging into your laptop? Is it joined to the domain?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Disable cached mode. If that doesn't work, delete you Outlook profile and set up a new one should work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    yep, tried it with and without cached exchange mode. no difference at all. As i said, ive tried recreating the profile with no luck.

Any idea's?

• Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    How much connectivity do you have with the exchange server? It could be a firewall issue on the laptop.
  • Options
    How much connectivity do you have with the exchange server? It could be a firewall issue on the laptop.

Nope no firewall on the laptop. Its a company issue and we dont have one! we dont use the windows firewall either. When connecting its always locally on the LAN. Exchange server is down stairs. Sometime its via VPN but very rarely.

Ive came in this morning and its working ok now - although i havent changed anything from what ive previously done in the first posts :s

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I experienced something like this when I had users on my network - but not in my domain - try to set up email access. If thats the case, maybe you can add a static route to the mail server.

The error message sounds networking related...ping it, add to DNS, that kind of stuff?

When you set up the new account at the pc, does successfully chech names?