Options

2x2501 and 2x1900-EN switch..will??

klnycklnyc Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
This enough to practice my 801 exam? I know on the books, its say it need 2950 or any 2900 switch.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    PSUalumPSUalum Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey klnyc,

The answer to your question is Yep! Don't need to have 2900 switches, but you need to be sure you get all the correct connection cables and connectors.

This is precisely what I'm using in my lab for CCNA. However, for CCNP, the minimum router is 2600 series and minimum switch is 2900 series. Those newer devices support 100MB and the newer IOS's have more networking functions, which you are tested on for that cert.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know. Haha I was tempting bid one of those 2950 of from Ebay.
  • Options
    pad10029pad10029 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    get the 2900 series.... most of the commands in the book are for the 2900 running ios 12.x.....

i am preparing right now, and having two 1900's is frustrating to me...
    there is an appendix in the back of my book that deals with 1900 commands.....it gets on my nerves that i have to use slightly different commands than what i am reading in the book.... it's almost like having to learn an extra set of command synthaxes (why give yourself more work when preparing for a test).

plus after your test, the 2900's are very good for use (1900s are as well buuuttt....they're older)

get the 2900's if you want to spend a little bit extra.... wish i did....lol
  • Options
    pad10029pad10029 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    also, for the 2501.... they're good.... they can do the job...

still dream about having a router with at least 2 ethernet/fastethernet interfaces though.....

call me a dreamer....lol
  • Options
    Yeah, I already have 2x2501 and 2x1900en. Aha, I wonder, if I can load those 2900 IOS into my 1900( just a thought). Yah, I might go to Egay and bid one of those 2950. Wish me luck :)
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LMAO!!! icon_lol.gif

pad10029 wrote:
    also, for the 2501.... they're good.... they can do the job...

still dream about having a router with at least 2 ethernet/fastethernet interfaces though.....

call me a dreamer....lol
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    PSUalumPSUalum Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pad10029 wrote:
    i am preparing right now, and having two 1900's is frustrating to me...there is an appendix in the back of my book that deals with 1900 commands.....it gets on my nerves that i have to use slightly different commands than what i am reading in the book.... it's almost like having to learn an extra set of command synthaxes (why give yourself more work when preparing for a test).

Hey pad10029,

What are you using for your book prep? I've started with Sybex's 4th Ed., but have not begun the labs yet. I'm waiting for my second 2501 and 1924EN to show up.

I was advised by a moderator from another forum that these are the devices you want for CCNA. I just checked out another post that indicated you cannot do VLAN's with 2501's. That true? If so, not a really big deal for me since I also got my hands on Sybex's Platinum Ed. simulator that will allow me to practice VLANS.

I agree with you that 2950's would sure be nice to have, but 2950's cannot be had for less than two hundred bucks. Too much for my budget. The sim I picked up at least uses 2600 routers and 2950 switches, so I may also be learning the differences in those IOS commands too.
  • Options
    rob.mcrob.mc Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cannot do VLAN's with 2501's.

VLANs are a layer 2 technology so you cant do VLANs on any router...
  • Options
    rob.mc wrote:
    cannot do VLAN's with 2501's.

VLANs are a layer 2 technology so you cant do VLANs on any router...

Hi,

Can you do VLAN with those Net Vis4 (RouterSim)? The reseaon I asked, I want to do VLAN too. I know in the exam there's no doubt it it wont have VLAN question.

thanks