Options

Weight Gain

bryantstewartbryantstewart Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone else noticed that they gain weight as they spend a fair amount of time studying for certs? I started studying for the ccna exam again about a month ago and after spending my nights reading/labtime and my days with my family I noticed a slight gain. icon_wink.gif Hopefully I can get it off when I am done with this test.

Comments

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Ya know, I didn't seem to notice but my wife did. All of a sudden she wants me to start using my weight set and the Elliptical for more than a clothes dryer. Sheesh.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    It happens to the best of us....I try to work out 3-4 days a week now to start shaping back up.
  • Options
    bryantstewartbryantstewart Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    It happens to the best of us....I try to work out 3-4 days a week now to start shaping back up.

I think I should follow your plan.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Yes..it's quite serious !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've only recently been noticing this, my age is starting to catch up with me I guess - 27, nearly 28. Used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and get away with it... not anymore!

I get a bit of exercise playing with my kid who's 18 months old, other than that over the winter time there isn't much outdoor activity for me. I mostly try to stay a bit more fit lately by mixing in poor mans exercise and doing sets of crunches, pushups, and squats with some home-made weights. I admit I need to eat better and cut back on the soda and energy drinks a bit. Not sure how I'm going to handle the lack of energy drinks though, I seem to have become reliant upon them lately with my extremely busy schedule.

Summers I do about the same, but with more outdoor activities doing yardwork and things as well as going for 2-3 mile walks on my lunch break. Get out more on walks with the wife and kid too.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I keep saying I am going to the gym...yet somehow I don't make it. Being out of work I should be there everyday...gotta start!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I keep saying I am going to the gym...yet somehow I don't make it. Being out of work I should be there everyday...gotta start!

Here's my sad truth of the day. My wife and I a few years back thought it would be a cool idea to get a gym membership and workout. She at least used it.... myself on the other hand I went just once out of a 12 month contract at ~40 a month. That's the most expensive few laps around a swimming pool I've ever experienced!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL yeah that is about where I am at right now. But I am more sad this my gym is 24/7, 5 mins from my house, and no one is there between 11pm and 3am...the hours I am most awake! Though I believe I am on a family plan so it's only $25 a month...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I have an elliptical trainer set up in front of a VCR/DVD/TV in my garage. I can watch video files I've burned to DVDs while exercising. But I do tend to slack off on working out when heavily studying for certs or a school project.
  • Options
    I admit I need to eat better and cut back on the soda and energy drinks a bit. Not sure how I'm going to handle the lack of energy drinks though, I seem to have become reliant upon them lately with my extremely busy schedule.

One thing I did last year was started to drink hot tea(green and earl grey) instead of coffee and energy drinks, that with a better diet and some exercise i was able to drop 15 lbs. I gained some of it back near the end of the year with the holidays but now with a better work out plan i will do even better this year.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    shednik wrote: »
    One thing I did last year was started to drink hot tea(green and earl grey) instead of coffee and energy drinks, that with a better diet and some exercise i was able to drop 15 lbs. I gained some of it back near the end of the year with the holidays but now with a better work out plan i will do even better this year.

Hmmm, great idea! Still get the caffeine but none of the garbage that comes with the other drinks. Plus, you're getting the water intake that is crucial to healthy weight loss. Thanks for the idea!

:)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Actually if I get really into studying I tend to forget to eat... or drink... or anything much really.

Hmm, maybe I should get out more :D
  • Options
    Actually if I get really into studying I tend to forget to eat... or drink... or anything much really.

Hmm, maybe I should get out more :D

Thats actually worse for you health wise then eating junk...its just slows down your metabolism.