Options

Need advice on setting up CCNA network...

djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
I am a noobie and I have only just begun my CCNA studies so if you would pardon my lack of knowledge. Here is what I have:

(1) 2621xm router(two 10/100 RJ45 ports)
(1) 2620xm router(one 10/100 RJ45 port)
(2) 2520 routers(one 10bT port, one AUI, four DB60)
(1) 2950 12-port switch
(1) 2924 24-port switch
(1) WIC-1T module
(2) DCE/DTE serial cables
(1) AUI ethernet transceiver
(1) wireless AP

I got the 2621xm b/c it had two FE ports and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the 2621xm as our family's main router to our cable modem via the 0/0 interface. But from there I'm not sure how I should set it up. I want to be able to cover all the topics of the CCNA curriculum and maybe some for CCNP. And I think I'd like to use one of my 2520s as a frame relay switch. I am just completely lost though. I need some practical advice from real people, not a book or internet tutorial.

OR should I just keep our current network as is with our wired linksys router(and wireless AP which I am going to set-up this week) and just set up an islolated lab separate from our home network? I do have a couple old XP machines I was able to salvage, my XP laptop, and my main Vista desktop to use.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    djhss68 wrote: »
    (1) 2621xm router(two 10/100 RJ45 ports)
    (1) 2620xm router(one 10/100 RJ45 port)
    (2) 2520 routers(one 10bT port, one AUI, four DB60)
    (1) 2950 12-port switch
    (1) 2924 24-port switch
    (1) WIC-1T module
    (2) DCE/DTE serial cables
    (1) AUI ethernet transceiver
    (1) wireless AP
    Everything you've listed is great for your CCNA lab apart from two things. The 2924XL has a slightly different commandset than the 2950 which is what you should be aiming for. You can use it as a 3rd switch but ideally you'd want another 2950 or better.

No idea what your wireless AP is. It may or may not be useful depending on what model it is and what it is running.
    I got the 2621xm b/c it had two FE ports and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the 2621xm as our family's main router to our cable modem via the 0/0 interface.
    You don't want to do this. The 2621XM is actually quite slow and the average cable connection these days is way too fast for it. It is rated for a maximum of 30K PPS and 15.36Mbps but that is with no features like ACLs enabled. The rule of thumb is that you should halve the listed spec for every feature you've got enabled.

I've got a 1841 as my router and whilst the maximum listed performance is 75K PPS and 38.40Mbps, Cisco only rate it as capable of handling a T1/E1 with everything enabled. I've tested it before and their estimate is fairly accurate. Once I enabled IPS the throughput dropped to around 1-2Mbps.
    And I think I'd like to use one of my 2520s as a frame relay switch.
    Yes. That would be good. The 2520 will work well as a small frame relay switch.
    OR should I just keep our current network as is with our wired linksys router(and wireless AP which I am going to set-up this week) and just set up an islolated lab separate from our home network?
    Isolated lab in my opinion. You'll be changing the configuration and testing things regularly with the lab. You don't want the rest of your family to complain each time because the internet cut out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input here. I guess I will set-up a separate lab. I had no idea the 2621xm couldn't handle those speeds. But then what is the point of having an FE port if internally it is not capable of handling such speeds?

One more question. On the 2520s, what is the difference between the two regular serial ports and the two A/S ports?(I assume that stands for Async/Sync?) Should I not be using the A/S ports?
  • Options
    I had no idea the 2621xm couldn't handle those speeds. But then what is the point of having an FE port if internally it is not capable of handling such speeds?
    It can handle speeds faster than regular Ethernet. The underlying hardware is shared with other models in the same series as well so whilst the 2621XM is rated for 15.36Mbps, the 2651XM is rated for 20.48Mbps. The main difference between them is a faster CPU.
    One more question. On the 2520s, what is the difference between the two regular serial ports and the two A/S ports?(I assume that stands for Async/Sync?) Should I not be using the A/S ports?
    You have low and high speed ports on the 2520. For the purposes of a lab, they'll work the same.
  • Options
    Get another WIC-1T for the other 2600XM as well so you can use all 3 routers.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    It can handle speeds faster than regular Ethernet. The underlying hardware is shared with other models in the same series as well so whilst the 2621XM is rated for 15.36Mbps, the 2651XM is rated for 20.48Mbps. The main difference between them is a faster CPU.

Hey Tiersten, where do you find what speeds routers can handle with various features enabled. I'm looking for my 1841 in the data sheet, but no luck
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can find that information in the Router Performance PDF on the Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central web page.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ok, thats what I thought.

And I put the order in for another WIC-1T. THanks for all the replies. :)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks icon_mike.gif! will definitely bookmark that