Options

Server 2003

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I want to get my head around Server 2003 as I have never really heavily used it before, I am looking at installing it virtually.

What are the key things I should learn first when tackling Server 2k3 what are Good skills to have which I can put on the CV.

Anyone got any interesting Materials on starting server 2K3? Or articles on setting up file servers. Or some interesting projects I could run at home?

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get a 70-290 book and have at it. It's a great exam (typically the first Server 2003 exam in the MCSE series) that gives you good fundamental knowledge on Server 2003.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with Royal. Get the 290 book. It has a 180-day version of Server 2003 which you can install and configure. There are a lot of exercises in the book you can do as well, like creating user accounts, groups, security, etc. It will give you a good baseline.
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan chaps I am studying the MCDST at the mo and I'm finding it a drag, I want to get my hands dirty and learn some server, networking stuff.

I will see if I can pick this book up on the cheap lol

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I highly recommend the cbt nugget for 290 if you have the money. Watching someone use the technology helps me learn much faster.
  • Options
    Anyone know where I can obtain a vmware image of Server 2k3? or evaluation version

• Options
    nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can download an evaluation version and obtain a license key for free, from the Microsoft website.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    Get a 70-290 book and have at it. It's a great exam (typically the first Server 2003 exam in the MCSE series) that gives you good fundamental knowledge on Server 2003.

I agree whole heartedly (or if I suffered from heart disease, hole heartedly...sorry...bad joke). The Microsoft Press 70-270 book introduced me to the meat and potatoes of Server 2003, but that is by no means the only publisher with a great "intro" book. This is a great place to start. Even better if you care to eventually network Win 2k3 with an XP, 2000 or some other client OS.
    Certified Lunatic.