Options

Got The Official Rejection Notice...

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well the security position I had two interviews for gave me word today via e-mail that I wasn't selected. I had the second interview two weeks ago and kind of assumed that I didn't get it. Only one job I am waiting to hear back on and we are going on week three now. But my sister works there so I know they haven't hired anyone yet...
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear that this one fell through, but at least you have another opportunity.

How do the positions compare?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Still, at least you know. Some places just leave you waiting.
  • Options
    Well the other position I am getting conflicting stories on what I would be doing. Currently, the person in charge of "security" only knows Microsoft Office. So the head of special projects would like me to help them in that area on top of deploying and programming Microsoft Dynamics 2009. The head of IT (the department is currently 2 people) wants me to help with the networking (they currently outsource it and want someone who could communicate with the company), Microsoft Dynamics, web design, and help with their VOIP deployment (again this is being outsourced). What is nice about this company is I won't be doing help desk as that is outsourced. But I know they are kinda of looking for someone with Dynamics experience. We shall see....I've been sending out resumes just waiting to hear back...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may not want to disclose publicly, but if you want, can you PM me who you interviewed for? What was the position and what would you be doing?

I'm just curious - I work in the security industry myself.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    This may not have anything to do with your situation but I got a rejection letter for the job I am currently working 2 weeks after my first day on the job. I have been here a year and a half so far. HR often doesn't know what the working units are doing.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This may not have anything to do with your situation but I got a rejection letter for the job I am currently working 2 weeks after my first day on the job. I have been here a year and a half so far. HR often doesn't know what the working units are doing.

You better believe that that would be framed and placed prominently in my cube or office :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully the other position gets offered to you. Keep us updated!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    It's nice that you were notified you're no longer in the running. Most places won't notify you and you need to contact them instead.
  • Options
    True, it was the first company who said they would contact me whether I got it or not and actually did. I don't call companies to check on a status as when I was a manager I hated when people would call and say "I dropped off an application and I haven't been contacted yet."
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I hated when people would call and say "I dropped off an application and I haven't been contacted yet."
    Oh, I'd only expect a callback if I had actually been called in for a first-round interview, from either the interviewing manager or the recruiter. Many a times I've interviewed people and never notified them that they had been removed from consideration, because it was the HR department's job to provide the notification--and they usually didn't.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you send thank you letters to everyone you interviewed with? This is a big reason why many people are not hired, from what I hear. I have heard many stories of people getting hired because they were the only ones who followed up with thank you letters and/or calls. Especially a second interview (it means they must have liked you the first time.) Proper courtesy is a desirable trait.

If you did send them, I am surprised it took so long to hear back from them. You will usually get a quick response (yes or no) following a thank you letter.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    BigTex71 wrote: »
    Did you send thank you letters to everyone you interviewed with? This is a big reason why many people are not hired, from what I hear. I have heard many stories of people getting hired because they were the only ones who followed up with thank you letters and/or calls. Especially a second interview (it means they must have liked you the first time.) Proper courtesy is a desirable trait.

If you did send them, I am surprised it took so long to hear back from them. You will usually get a quick response (yes or no) following a thank you letter.

That's how I got my current job. I sent personalized thank you notes to everyone I interviewed with. I remembered something during the interview about each person and commented on it. One person asked me about the OSI layer, at the time I didn't know much beyond their names, so I did some research and showed that I was willing to learn.

Thank you notes work.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be sure to followup with a version of the rejection rejection letter - How to Respond to a Rejection Letter

:D
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    BigTex71 wrote: »
    Did you send thank you letters to everyone you interviewed with? This is a big reason why many people are not hired, from what I hear.
    I have rarely received a "thank you" email from a candidate, and those that I have received didn't influence my decisions at all. (I also don't read resume cover letters either.) What influence a "thank you" note has depends entirely the interviewer, but I can't say that it ever hurts to send one. Just make sure that you get the card and email address of your interviewer(s) so you can send a note.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Be sure to followup with a version of the rejection rejection letter - How to Respond to a Rejection Letter

Rejecting the rejection letter? That something book authors need!

Dear Publisher:

Thanks for your letter of March 30. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your rejection at this time. I intend to write my book anyway and have you edit and publish it this Fall. See you then!

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bwcarty wrote: »

That would be hilarious to send one of these and just show up for work icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.