Options

Despite Recession, IT Still in Demand

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I still have my job, but the company is cutting costs, I just read from Certmag that the Recession did not hit the IT het, what do you think?

Despite Recession, IT Still in Demand
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heh. Don't come to Kansas City. Sprint has ruined this market.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There isnt a single employment section which has not been effected.

What a load of crap. Everyone has been effected
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Heh. Don't come to Kansas City. Sprint has ruined this market.

That's why I left KC 6 years ago
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't trust a magazine pimpin' IT certs and cert products to tell me whether IT is suffering or not... JMHO
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    nel wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Everyone has been effected

Probably not medical.

I know producers of hot dogs, bologne, and spam are doing great.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brad- wrote: »
    Probably not medical.

I know producers of hot dogs, bologne, and spam are doing great.

McDonald's is also doing great, there are a lot of dollar menu millionaires these days.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol @ dollar menu millionaires...i think i'm bout to be one today on my lunch break...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Only people doing good are the crooks... Brokers, Fund Managers, Doctors (entire field), Dentists and anyone working with or in Nigeria.

Haha...

But seriously it is a recession, to say a Trade like IT is not effected is ridiculous.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    blargoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust a magazine pimpin' IT certs and cert products to tell me whether IT is suffering or not... JMHO
    This is so true. Always consider the original source of any information you receive.

And here in SoCal, IT in healthcare, aerospace, and the Federal government seems to be doing the best.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    JDMurray wrote: »
    This is so true. Always consider the original source of any information you receive.

And here in SoCal, IT in healthcare, aerospace, and the Federal government seems to be doing the best.

I think IT in healthcare and government is the strongest and will continue to be the strongest in regards to 'job security'.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Although I still have my job, I have noticed a drastic decline in the number of IT jobs available around my area. There never were many, but now there are practically none...
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    I guess the IT in healthcare depends on a state. In NY a couple of hospitals closed and many, including mine, are moderately laying off.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    1MeanAdmin wrote: »
    I guess the IT in healthcare depends on a state. In NY a couple of hospitals closed and many, including mine, are moderately laying off.
    It depends on who owns the hospital or heathcare business. Kaiser and Tenet hospitals are doing well right now, while Charter hospitals not so much. A lot of hospitals loose money because they are medical clinics to the local community, so they rely on Federal grants and private donations. If that revenue drys up then the hospital could be bought or closed.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My last job was at a nonprofit hospital and we had about 10 people in our IT department (mostly programmers). The hospital was sold to Iasis Healthcare and they promptly whittled it down to 4 employees (IT Director, Network Admin, PC Technician, Help Desk). Basically 2 guys supporting 400+ workstations. Glad I got out of there..
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I call BS on it not hitting the IT sector. I was laid off the beginning of January. It sucked.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    My last job was at a nonprofit hospital and we had about 10 people in our IT department (mostly programmers). The hospital was sold to Iasis Healthcare and they promptly whittled it down to 4 employees (IT Director, Network Admin, PC Technician, Help Desk). Basically 2 guys supporting 400+ workstations. Glad I got out of there..

I was once the only desktop guy for 1300 machines across 8 buildings. THAT sucked....
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133

yup...just watching fox news right now and in nyc...2 hospitals are closing...one in queens and i forgot the other one. even the health care full of nurses and doctors jobs aren't recession proof. damn this recession sux big time.
  • Options
    It depends on who owns the hospital or heathcare business. Kaiser and Tenet hospitals are doing well right now, while Charter hospitals not so much. A lot of hospitals loose money because they are medical clinics to the local community, so they rely on Federal grants and private donations. If that revenue drys up then the hospital could be bought or closed.

Agreed. The sad fact is that revenues generated by medicare/medicaid patients represent a bigger percentage of budget in a typical NY hospital and the state is cutting the funding. It affects major full-service non-profit hospitals as well. It's not as bad as in some other industries, but the picture is grim.
  • Options
    yup...just watching fox news right now and in nyc...2 hospitals are closing...one in queens and i forgot the other one. even the health care full of nurses and doctors jobs aren't recession proof. damn this recession sux big time.

All true, but the demand for nurses is still HUGE.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□

I work with the Tenet system in a roundabout way. We are our own medical management service, but we also work with Tenet. We are doing really well and growing like crazy. I really lucked out getting my job.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

I love nurses, and I never even get sick!
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133

once again...it depends where u r. u r a nurse? u married to one? if no to any of though..u are just guessing cuz of what u read on the newspaper and think it is a hot field. 10-15 years ago...IT is a hot field and media and the hype flooded with everyone going to school to study computer and the field is flooded with IT...now u are competing with everyone and salary is half of what you use to make.

do u know most of the nurses out there come from philippines? why do u think it is that? watch in 10-15 years where the medical field is flooded with nurses...guess what will happen.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably,

But to be a nurse they spend 4 to 8 years at the University, not in the case with IT, somebody with one or two years plus a lot of dedication can begin to get a good salary. I am not saying that IT is not difficult, I am comparing, could be full of nurse in 10 to 15 years but that is a lot of time.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    once again...it depends where u r. u r a nurse? u married to one? if no to any of though..u are just guessing cuz of what u read on the newspaper and think it is a hot field.
    do u know most of the nurses out there come from philippines? why do u think it is that? watch in 10-15 years where the medical field is flooded with nurses...guess what will happen.

I work for a hospital in NY and know people from other NY hospitals (including nurses) so I'm not guessing. These days, my hospital needs nurses. Furthermore, a nurse from SI hospital told me that they need nurses so bad, they have to bring them from Philippines - yes, to save money, but mainly because of the shortage.
    10-15 years ago...IT is a hot field and media and the hype flooded with everyone going to school to study computer and the field is flooded with IT...now u are competing with everyone and salary is half of what you use to make.

Besides the recession time, I mostly blame the self-entitlement of some young folks OR the lack of desire to learn new stuff of experienced employees, rather than the over-supply of experienced and knowledgeable IT staff.