Options

Can't Believe I Passed ISCW

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just a few questions in I started having problems with sims, which I think was a resolution issue. They rebooted the computer and the problem remains. At this point I've lost about 5 minutes of the actual exam time. The testing people don't really give me an answer, so I say "screw it" and do the sim even though I can't see what I'm typing, what the entire question is, or much of the output. Then the next one comes up, this time I can't read the question at all, not good. After another 10 minutes of lost time they move me into their training room, where people are actively teaching and I continue. When I get to about 4 minutes left I realize there is no way I'm going to finish in time. So I start briefly scanning the questions and picking the first answer that looks right. I still had 5 questions left when the timer ran out.

At this point I fully expected to fail, and was already going over what I was going to say when I called up Vue to complain. Incredibly, when the score pops up I barely passed with an 804. Needless to say I'm still irritated by the experience, but at least I don't have to go take it again.

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, how many left for CCNP now then?
  • Options
    Thanks! Just got ONT left to go, gonna hit that hard this weekend.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Remember to use the Comment button during the exam (if you can see one :D) to log issues with the exam. On Graphic resolution issues, look for a 1 pixel high scroll bar on the graphic exhibit -- I had one of those and to this day I still hope it was an ungraded beta SIM.

Do you have any other Vue testing locations within a day's drive? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I did comment on one of them, but the problem with doing comments is that the clock is still ticking down. It's too bad the clock can't pause while typing a comment, but that would have obvious potentials for abuse.

The only other testing center in town is an awful place that looks as though it was built with duct tape and faux wood paneling. The next closest place is about 150 miles away. The testing center is usually pretty good, just wasn't going my way today.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Just a few questions in I started having problems with sims, which I think was a resolution issue. They rebooted the computer and the problem remains. At this point I've lost about 5 minutes of the actual exam time. The testing people don't really give me an answer, so I say "screw it" and do the sim even though I can't see what I'm typing, what the entire question is, or much of the output. Then the next one comes up, this time I can't read the question at all, not good. After another 10 minutes of lost time they move me into their training room, where people are actively teaching and I continue. When I get to about 4 minutes left I realize there is no way I'm going to finish in time. So I start briefly scanning the questions and picking the first answer that looks right. I still had 5 questions left when the timer ran out.

At this point I fully expected to fail, and was already going over what I was going to say when I called up Vue to complain. Incredibly, when the score pops up I barely passed with an 804. Needless to say I'm still irritated by the experience, but at least I don't have to go take it again.

I have had the situation happen several times on the NP track at my testing center. The attendant has told me I will not lose time when the workstation is rebooted. One time it had to be rebooted 4 times to get the resolution correct. Later in the exam it happended again on another question. I had her reboot it again. Each time she contacted Cisco to fill out a incident report.

The key is as soon as it happens get the attendant....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like my experience with the CCNA Security last month. I had the same exact problem. Blurry and unreadable graphics, SDM problems, you name it. I usually crush Cisco tests and this was my lowest score because I couldn't read the freakin questions.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I've only had issues with one test I believe it was the BSCI, but maybe the BCMSN. The computer just rebooted out of no where. I was freaking for a minute, but it came back up and I only lost about three or four minutes. I still had plenty time when I finished, but if I would have failed I would have tried to get a free retake icon_twisted.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Well done kalebksp! Sorry to hear about the testing problems; that's definitely not something we need to have happening to us during an exam. Any thoughts to share on the ISCW?
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    congratulations.. I just finished up doing some labs on CBAC (ios firewall).. pretty neat..

Hopefully i can get this exam done within the next two weeks, i been studying hard, and reviewing intensively more than i have been moving on.. I got the last chapter to knock out, and then everything all good from there.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Very nice Kaleb... even sweeter that you had to work "extra" hard for the pass.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
    Met44 wrote: »
    Any thoughts to share on the ISCW?

I used CBT Nuggets and the Cisco Press book, I found Nuggets to be very lacking and would not recommend it for this exam. The book is pretty good. As with all of these exams doing some lab work is very helpful. I wish I had spent more time working with SDM. Lastly, a bit of luck always helps.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Kaleb