Options

Child Domain question

gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is Microsoft Best practice for adding a child domain. Basically what I want to know is how I should set DNS ADDRESS for the child DC. Should I do this

on Child Server.

1) SET PRIMARY DNS TO PARENT DOMAIN DNS SERVER
2) RUN DC PROMO
3) SPECIFY CREDENTIALS FOR PARENT DOMAIN ADMIN
4) CREATE NEW CHILD DOMAIN
5) REBOOT
6) SET DNS ON NEW CHILD DC TO ITSELF.

Thats where Im having the problems is what i use for child DC DNS settings. Before I run DC PROMO if I set it to point to itself on the child server it was giving me DNS errors. I guess because it could not contact parent DC. A whitepaper would be awesome .

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you'll have to set it to point to the parent initially. I suppose you could create the records manually too, if you really wanted. After that, you can have it point to itself and setup stub zones, delegations, forwarders, secondary zones, etc. to communicate between the two.

Check out Royal's sticky at the top of the 291 forum. He has a lot of good resources in there.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, don't do that if you want it to host its own dns. If you just point it to the parent it'll create the zone as a domain folder in the parent dns. If you want your child to host its own dns, point dns to a parent dns server and create a delegation for the child domain's dns zone to the new DC. That way when you DCPROMO it'll see it's authoritative for its own zone and prompt you to install DNS for the new domain.

Then after you DCPROMO, before you reboot, create a conditional forwarder or stub zone to your parent so after the reboot both zones can resolve each other so forest replicated zones come down to the new child domain. You can then remove the delegation and replace it with a stub zone or a conditional forwarder.

In Server 2008, a child zone will prompt you to create a delegation on the parent dns so you don't have to worry about doing the delegation piece manually.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks