Options

Question about Sims

jayITjayIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are the style of sims on the exam similar to what you might see on the MS Press practice tests, or are they real working modules? For example, on the practice tests I've been taking, the sims are mostly drag and drop from one box to another. They are not functioning Windows components. But on the exam, will it be actual fully functional Windows modules like Active Directory, NTbackup, etc that you have to click around in?

The reason I ask is because when I was studying for the CCNA, I only used virtual switch consoles to do all the practice simulations. I felt very confident in configuring a real switch at a real console. However, most of the sims on the exam were complex cartoony drag and drop boxes. It through me off big time, and I failed the test. The whole time I kept thinking, "What is this? Why don't they just give me a console and let me type in the commands?"

I don't want to be surprised again. I'm scheduled to take the test Monday. I've been working with 2003 and AD for a while now, but I know how these exams love to be tricky.

Comments

• Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will have some drag and drop to answer but they are not sims. In this exam, you will have a real sim like a virtual computer that you have to perform a particular operation for example change user's permission, reset password, etc... Don't worry, if you pratice lab or have experience, you will feel confident. For this exam, I found it easy to pass.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    jayITjayIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. That is very helpful. Are all paths to the correct result allowed? Or is the MS exam looking for the "Best" way only?
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Well, in my experience, sometimes they allow more than one path. However, the sim is not a fully working operating system so many areas deemed irrelevant to the task are not available. You can actually use this info to your advantage, sometimes, as just the fact that you were able to open some window or select an option is a hint you may be on the right path.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Ditto. Know how to input or change info in ADUC (or any other MMC's in the study material, e.g. IIS, Terminal Server, Licensing) and you should be OK. ADUC is usually the big kahuna. It's pretty straight forward stuff. I found the sims to be the easiest part of the test. Just make sure you read the question thoroughly, since they tend to be long.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Honestly, the Sims are so easy that I think they're the reason people are getting higher scores. :) Having just took this exam today, I can also confirm that you will be on a virtual desktop on a virtual computer.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012