Options

Deployed and Trying for CCNA

SporkD2SporkD2 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently deployed with the Army and decided that I want to try to get my CCNA. I am currently a computer science major and since I had to put that on hold, I figured I would make use of my time and go for my ccna.

I am debating on whether or not to go for the all in one test or the ICND 1 & 2.

I have almost no work experience with using networking devices so I am having to learn a lot from scratch. Its hard being over here and not being able to set up a lab like I have seen so many of you do.

We have a service available to us called Skillport which has some nice studying material and interactive portions for us to use.

Would you recomend someone like me taking the two part tests, or just study more for the 1 part.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    I personally opted for the two-exam path because:

1) It costs the same (actually less if you fail one exam since you only need to retake that, not the whole test)

2) In school terms, I'd rather have a midterm and a final than just one big cumulative exam

3) It gives you your first certification faster (CCENT)
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Fella

the 2 part test sounds like a good idea for a guy in your position the 802 is a large lump to swallow even for people who use some of the kit fairly regularly!
    Don't let not having access to a real lab hamper your Studies there is a great Virtulisation application called Dynamips with an easy to use GUI called
    GNS3 you can get for free from GNS3 | i recomend you get this downded and installed as soon as you can, you will then need a IOS image 12.4 advanced of some form will cover you for your ccna and to be more specific i like the 2600XM router so i use that. IM for details
    For material i would recomend looking for one that comes with some Boson labs these are simulators so have limitations but will give you the hands on switching experiance that you will find useful icon_cheers.gif

All in all i wish you the best of luck with the icon_study.gif

Cheers

J
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SporkD2 wrote: »
    I am currently deployed with the Army and decided that I want to try to get my CCNA. I am currently a computer science major and since I had to put that on hold, I figured I would make use of my time and go for my ccna.

I am debating on whether or not to go for the all in one test or the ICND 1 & 2.

I have almost no work experience with using networking devices so I am having to learn a lot from scratch. Its hard being over here and not being able to set up a lab like I have seen so many of you do.

We have a service available to us called Skillport which has some nice studying material and interactive portions for us to use.

Would you recomend someone like me taking the two part tests, or just study more for the 1 part.

Thanks

I think the two test incremental approach would probably be best for you. You are not taking too much on at once that way and you can progress gradually.

Get that CCNA and make Lieutenant in the Cisco Army. Good luck with it!