new asdm? then what?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey ccsp gurus

i have my new asa 5505 right on it it has asdm-524.bin so i found a asdm-613.bin
copied it to its flash and ran in the globla config mode the command "asdm image disk0:/asdm-613.bin and nothing happens i cannot acces it with the ip but if i go back
and config the old asdm-524.bin it works fine? do i have to some how activate this new asdm image? or what am i doing wrong?
thanks

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ASDM 6.x works with ASA software image 8.x and higher. What version software is your ASA running?

PIX/ASA: Upgrade a Software Image using ASDM or CLI Configuration Example - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thank MikeJ. yeah I appreciate your help. I am finding out how picky the ASDM is. and how it has to work with a paticular IOS..I guess it is common sense really. I just though the IOS images were every similar and well.makes sense I have ios 7.2 and what my asdm-524.bin.
    sucks I dont know where to get a higher asa ios. i mean dont i have to have a key code
    to activate it? it is a nice asa 5505 but has 7.24 ios with asdm 524..do i have to buy a new ios and then get it activated?? i am unfamiliar with activating ios's in cisco. I am use to the old way just find one and install it..mike where can i learn about cisco fairly new way of obtaining and activating ios's?) can you explain it to me the gist of how it is done? and since i am in training can i get an upgrade ios or do i have to have a cisco contract for my asa 5505? i bought it off of ebay i believe it has base license. and i use it at hme for practice.
    thanks for your help.
    robert
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    There's no change in license required to update to a newer IOS... a new license is required if you improve some aspect of the config, ie, context licenses, or VPN capabilities (peers and/or connections).

If you can land IOS8.0, your current license will let you launch it. Then you can update the ASDM as well.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.