Options

Odd 2610 IOS upgrade issue.

CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a 2610 router that has 64/16 for hardware and I was trying to upgrade the IOS image on it. I erased the old image and installed the new one and rebooted the router. After the reboot the router went into ROMMON mode, I typed reset to try and reboot again. The router decompressed the image fine, then came up with an error saying "Image too large", then the router rebooted itself again without input from me, and this time the router booted fine using the image I just installed.

I wasn't content to trust the router so I did another reload, and the router rebooted with the image too large message again, then it automatically tried rebooting again and booted fine.

The image I loaded in was the largest IOS Cisco last posted for the router in March of last year, don't remember the feature set but the IOS revision was 12.3 (26).

I don't understand why it sometimes comes up with that image too large message. When I do a show flash the image just barely fits in flash and flash has 166984 bytes left free.

Has anybody had a problem like this before?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sounds like you're right on the edge for the amount of memory required for that particular version/feature set. You need more RAM. What is the exact filename?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Sounds like you're right on the edge for the amount of memory required for that particular version/feature set. You need more RAM. What is the exact filename?

From the show version command my memory is 61440K/4096K.

Image file is c2600-j1s3-mz.123-26.bin.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    c2600-j1s3-mz.123-26.bin is 12.3.26 Enterprise Basic

However, CCO lists the minimum requirements as 64MB memory and 16MB flash.

Is the image corrupt? It should match the following:

Size 16085876
    Router Checksum 0x3c0e
    MD5 f194f33fbffff6ab40a45b477580ad6f

If the image is okay then I'm not sure. Might be a hardware fault?
  • Options
    I tried erasing the IOS image and copying the old image back in, which was c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-22.bin, but the booting is still hit or miss boot up, more miss. I bought this router a few months ago, and haven't used it until today. Originally it did boot up fine with the image that came on it, and it did only start to have this problem after I tried to put a newer image in, but I hadn't tried rebooting the router a few times before I updated the IOS, so the problem could have been there from the beginning.

I'm going to try some smaller images and see if I still get problems. If problems persist should I try and replace/swap the RAM and flash to see if that helps?

Also out of curiosity could it be because after copying in each image (which no what matter what image, once copied in, is the only thing in flash) I went into global config mode and issued the "boot system flash xxxxxxxxxxx" command? I know that with each image being the only thing in flash that command was not needed but I did it to become familar with doing that, but also wanted to try and make sure I didn't end up in ROMMON.