Options

Network+ vs Cisco

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I'm currently in the Cisco Networking Academy: CCNA 1 introductory course. I do not have industry experience. However, I do have knowledge in computers because I have graduated from a Business Admin Information Systems program. In addition, I will be graduating with a commerce degree in IT Management this Spring. I had taken one-two networking classes before where I gained a basic understanding of Network+ concepts.

I find CCNA 1 introductory course quite challenging at the moment.

Do you think I will be able to handle the real Comptia Network+ exam?

Is the Network+ questions harder than the CCNA weekly module tests?

Do I need to learn A+ before I start Network+? (I want to skip A+ and jump directly into Network+)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Hi laptop,

The Network+ exam is similar and different from the CCNA exam. If you have little or no network experience, I would recommend doing the Network+ first then the CCNA since the cisco material builds on some of the net+ concepts. I don't know what kind of curriculum you went through for your degrees but if you took any basic networking classes, you should have a good start for the Net+ material. I would say go to CompTIA's site and look at the Net+ objectives and that will give you an idea of the things you'll be tested on. Pick up a Net+ exam prep book and start studying it.

The CCNA is definitely a more challenging exam then the Net+. With the CCNA you need to know about networks in general in addition to networking with Cisco Routers and Switches so the Net+ will build that general networking foundation.

You do not "need" to have the A+ prior to the Net+ since they cover two different areas. The A+ will cover some basic networking information but nothing extensive.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There is no pre-requisit for the NET+.

If you are working on the Cisco items already, why go from a vendor specific path down to a vendor neutral path?

NET+ won't hurt you, but as pointed out above, maybe go NET+ first, then move into CISCO.

Either will be fine, it depends what your objectives are and then that will determine your certification path.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Just go for Net+ first man i had the same advice too, right now
    ccna should be next.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the first part of the CCNA class is difficult, studying and passing the Net+ will help out a lot with your basic understanding of networking in general. It won't hurt at all, and it will only help. At the most, you are only out the $250 and your time. But, you will gain some knowledge out of the deal.

But, there is a lot of information on the Net+ that is pretty general and not going to be covered by the CCNA classes. A lot of it will, but it will take some good studying for the Net+, too.

Good luck!