Options

2950G or 2950T

luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
Hi guys

What is the difference between a 2950G and a 2950T switch? From a CCNA/NP perspective, is either better than the other?

I had a look on the cisco site but couldn't see the difference.

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 2950G has two gigabit GBIC slots, the 2950T has two gigabit RJ45 ports.

Neither has an advantage in a lab environment.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll do fine with a plain old WS-C2950-24 or WS-C2950-12 in your lab.

The G model will give you the ability to add GBICs, but you have to factor in the extra cost for the model itself, the GBICs, and the cabling.

The T model's two gigabit RJ45 ports are cool, but do you really need the extra speed in a lab? Probably not.
  • Options
    Sorry to revive this thread but if u purchased a normal 2950 can u put an EI ios on it even if it only has an SI on it currently? I guess my question is, is there some hardware dependance on whether u can use an EI or an SI ios?
  • Options
    Unlike 3550s, the 2950s IOS cannot be upgraded.

EDIT: Can't be upgraded to an enterprise (EI) image. They can of course be upgraded to a newer version.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Unlike 3550s, the 2950s IOS cannot be upgraded.

EDIT: Can't be upgraded to an enterprise (EI) image. They can of course be upgraded to a newer version.
    The E in EI is Enhanced.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2950-12's and 2950-24's use standard image.
    both 2950G and 2950T use enhanced image.

Differences can be found below;
    Catalyst 2950 Series IOS Feature Comparison - SI and EI | www.lextrain.com
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    The E in EI is Enhanced.

Opps, that's what I meant to say.
  • Options
    Hmm, guess ill grab another 2950G then

Cheers guys :D
  • Options
    m4rtinm4rtin Member Posts: 170
    I checked this Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI document and found out, that 2950T has lot of advantages compared with regular 2950 thanks to Enhanced Image. As mentioned in this topic, one can't install Enhanced Image to regular 2950. Are there any hardware requirements for Enhanced Image, that regular 2950 doesn't fulfill? Or what is the technical reason for this?icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    m4rtin wrote: »
    I checked this Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI document and found out, that 2950T has lot of advantages compared with regular 2950 thanks to Enhanced Image. As mentioned in this topic, one can't install Enhanced Image to regular 2950. Are there any hardware requirements for Enhanced Image, that regular 2950 doesn't fulfill? Or what is the technical reason for this?icon_rolleyes.gif
    Hardware is different and the IOS images will check for it to decide whether you get SI or EI. There isn't any known way of fooling it either.
  • Options
    rc51bossrc51boss Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 2950C's also use the Enhanced Image and are generally cheaper than G's or T's.