Options

Any local network supply stores?

Are there any local networking equipment supply stores around or does everything need to be purchased online? Just tired of having to spend $8-$10 on shipping everytime I need something small like rack mounts or rack screws, cables, etc. I'm in the Westchester, NY area.

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Are there any local networking equipment supply stores around or does everything need to be purchased online? Just tired of having to spend $8-$10 on shipping everytime I need something small like rack mounts or rack screws, cables, etc. I'm in the Westchester, NY area.

graybar....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try your local electronic supply warehouse if you can find one. Failing that, the big box hardware stores usually have the basics and almost all of them sell CAT5 or better cable. Go for the plenum grade cable, as the low end stuff at hardware stores is often really bad.

Rack screws can be replaced with good old fashioned nuts and bolts - having a bolt that's a little bit oversize (lengthwise) can really help. Although if you're doing this at work, you better check with your network admin first. He won't be happy if your bolt needs a wrench size or screwdriver he doesn't have handy.

;)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    depends what you want to buy...........I use maplin if I need something quick in the UK, I've bought crimping tools and rj45 jacks, cage nuts and even a small 9u rack on wheels.

you can order online and pickup at store or just go in.

Not sure what the Maplin equiv would be in the States
  • Options
    Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about getting power cords for routers and switches? I don't remember seeing these with the build-your-own-cables supplies. I still don't know of a local place which might carry those. If you call Best Buy or Wal-Mart - or even Home Depot - they look at you like you're
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    What about getting power cords for routers and switches? I don't remember seeing these with the build-your-own-cables supplies. I still don't know of a local place which might carry those. If you call Best Buy or Wal-Mart - or even Home Depot - they look at you like you're

You can get power cords at just about any electronics store.
  • Options
    bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can get bulk Cat 3/5/6 cable at Home Depot. I know the store in Kingston has it. I haven't seen rack equipment there.