Finally, out of helpdesk!

M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
So after 2 years of working the helpdesk and getting certified, they've moved me out and on March 3 I'll be working for the IT department of the same ISP I had worked for. I put my MCSE studies on hold as I should finally get hands on experience with Server 2k3 to help me understand better, and in the meantime I'm gonna' get my CCNA out of the way! Would like to thank this site for all it's help in my getting certified.
Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Congrats! I hate helpdesk, lol
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats! Good news. Hard work and honest study pays off.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!

Our promotion path where I work is

Intern
    Helpdesk
    NOC
    IT Technician
    IT Engineer

But all of it (well maybe not the internship) is considered IT and the upper level helpdesk guys make more than some of us techs.

Hey, if I was younger and could afford the paycut, I would ask to be transferred to the NOC as most of them bypass the tech level and become Network Engineers when they get promoted.

And we had an intern who got his CCNA and went right from internship to the NOC!

icon_mrgreen.gif

Congrats again!!!
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    well done :)

Wishin you all the best in the new role. :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! That's fantastic! I'm always glad to see people getting off the phones and into the server room.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gratz!

Its a glorious world when you first get off the helpdesk!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I'm doing everything to avoid help desk...been spoiled by being a field tech!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the support all.
    I should have also clarified, it's technically an internship, but they're already thinkin' about turning it into something more than that.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    its really good to see hard work pay off, huge congrats!!
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif Good luck & enjoy it. icon_thumright.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congratulations!! icon_thumright.gif
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm doing everything to avoid help desk...been spoiled by being a field tech!
    Same here...I've really been avoiding help desk if at all possible (I actually chose a lower paying field tech position over a higher paying phone support position for my first IT job!). It's not that I can't do phone support, it's just that it can be sooooo frustrating at times. And I'd hate to get someone like me on the other end of the line, yeesh... ;)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Getting out of helpdesk is like getting out of Shawkshank prison. I hope to be out soon! icon_lol.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    Getting out of helpdesk is like getting out of Shawkshank prison.
    That would explain the Titanium Sporks I've seen in helpdesk areas! icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of my co-workers are always mad at the helpdesk guys (and gals) because they send us tickets for easy things that they should know how to do themselves

But I tell them to relax - if the helpdesk and NOC guys could do it all then they wouldn't need us

:)

Congrats again for getting out and moving upwards - I would be pulling out the little hair I have left if I was talking to users all day.

icon_cheers.gif
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and good luck.

I'm hoping to break out of my helpdesk/jr admin prison soon. I think it will be nice to get back to a point where I'm not having nightmares about phones.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congratulations!! Helpdesk is a necessary evil best left to those who don't want more out of life. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"