Options

Great Subnetting Tutorial

nifter53nifter53 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've read many tutorials and watched dozens of videos. They all say the same thing, "others make subnetting more difficult that it really is...and here's the easy way". Well...while watching all those videos and reading all those tutorials I would find myself thinking, "this makes perfect sense". Then, I would google "subnetting questions" and try my hand at some questions. I stared blankly at each question not knowing where to even start.

Then, while watching the CBT Nuggets ccent video by Jeremy a light went on (i think he actually says that at some point in his video). I got it!

The most important part I was missing was...If subnetting is simply seperating 1 network into multiple networks, then the important part is knowing what increment seperates each subnet. Is each network comprised of 4 IP address or 64 IP's? Once I began looking for the increment it all became very clear. It`s all about the increment between each network!

For example, 2 days ago I could not answer 1 single question at--> google "subnetting questions" (well maybe, what network is 192.168.1.5/24 a part of...I got that one), but 1 day after watching the CBT nuggets video I can answer nearly all of the questions in my head. No paper, no calculator, just remembering 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

Anyways, I found this aspect of the CCNA a challenge and wanted to share my experience. If it helps, great, if not, too bad.

nifter

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    here is a good link to subnetting simplification.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    nifter53 wrote: »
    Then, while watching the CBT Nuggets ccent video by Jeremy a light went on (i think he actually says that at some point in his video). I got it!

nifter

I agree completely!! The method used in CBT Nuggets is by far the easiest way that I have come accross to do subnetting.
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nifter53 wrote: »
    I've read many tutorials and watched dozens of videos. They all say the same thing, "others make subnetting more difficult that it really is...and here's the easy way". Well...while watching all those videos and reading all those tutorials I would find myself thinking, "this makes perfect sense". Then, I would google "subnetting questions" and try my hand at some questions. I stared blankly at each question not knowing where to even start.

The most important part I was missing was...If subnetting is simply seperating 1 network into multiple networks, then the important part is knowing what increment seperates each subnet. Is each network comprised of 4 IP address or 64 IP's? Once I began looking for the increment it all became very clear. It`s all about the increment between each network!

For example, 2 days ago I could not answer 1 single question at--> google "subnetting questions" (well maybe, what network is 192.168.1.5/24 a part of...I got that one), but 1 day after watching the CBT nuggets video I can answer nearly all of the questions in my head. No paper, no calculator, just remembering 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

Anyways, I found this aspect of the CCNA a challenge and wanted to share my experience. If it helps, great, if not, too bad.

nifter

I'm not at that point yet. Need to get the lightbulb turned on..