Options

70-291 - done!!

andysmegandysmeg Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
It took me 3 attempts but I finally got there :)

I used Exam Cram but mainly Test Out software. The TO software did a brilliant job and I can't fault it APART from quickly skipping past the information I needed for the 1 sim that I got (I got the same simulation every time).

Also, the software doesn't really cover subnetting a great deal. This link should help you out there: http://www.********.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38227&hl
It provides you with everything you really need to know for the exam.

The first time I took the exam I revised solidly for 3 days (yes, I said days) and I came out with 630. I didn't know any of the questions relating to IP addressing as the TO software didn't really touch on it and so I got none of those question right. If I had have known my stuff I'm confident I would've passed 1st time. Anyway, I was chuffed with 630 and with the aid of my 2nd shot I thought I'd nail it next time around. My biggest error was leaving the 2nd attempt 2 months. I'd forgotten everything I knew so had to start again. This time I revised for about 3 days again and my score dropped to about 550. Not happy! I was gutted as I honestly thought at the end of the exam I'd done it.

3rd attempt I revised for a couple of days but took it soon after the 2nd attempt so was just filling in the gaps. This time I passed with 815.

One thing I did notice is that the pool of questions isn't huge. On each of my exams I got quite a few of the same questions including the same sim every time. I think the only thing that makes this exam such a b!tch is that their is a massive amount of information to take in. DHCP and inparticular DNS are HUGE topics.
Know your commands (dnslint/dnscmd). Get hands on experience or at least get familiar with the DHCP/DNS/RRAS consoles because you will have certain questions asking you to configure so and so by clicking on the following DNS/DHCP/RRAS screen. This is where the TO software came in useful.

All in all keep at it and you will get there. Now on to 70-293.

Good luck!

Comments

• Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    Congratulations!!!
    I hope to pass my 70-291 to complete my MCSA very soon, this exam had been scary.
    Now that i have registered for the exam, got the CBT Nuggets, Winstructor, MSpress (2006) i think i will read and fight hard to pass the exam
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Congratulations! Third time's a charm!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job! :)
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    andysmeg wrote: »
    Also, the software doesn't really cover subnetting a great deal. This link should help you out there: http://www.********.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38227&hl
    It provides you with everything you really need to know for the exam.

Be sure to verify your resources with Certguard, because that link looks a bit shady.
    CertGuard - Exam Security & Integrity

Anyways, congrats on the pass and way to stick with it.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, and good luck with your 70-293 studies! icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    andysmegandysmeg Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Be sure to verify your resources with Certguard, because that link looks a bit shady.
    CertGuard - Exam Security & Integrity

Anyways, congrats on the pass and way to stick with it.

Just checked and apparently it is a **** site. However, the link I posted was to a section on subnetting (no **** for any exams) and it was really really good.

If anyone would like the link PM me and I'll pass on the details. Again, I want to clarify I'm not passing on any **** info, just a really good subnetting link.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Options
    willtech10577willtech10577 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□