Options

Help with lab please

ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
Well, i have the money to get me a good lab (I have a thousand dollars) but I am trying to get the best bang for the buck. So I have come to a point in which I need someone that has more expertise then me on Cisco gear. I have narrowed down the 2950 switch is needed. I just a little confused on what cables and routers.

Option )1

I was thinking I would get the 3 routers and 3 switches from Ciscokits but Bob told me that it's going to cost me $50 per switch to upgrade it to a 2950. So I'm looking at $750 - $800 for the kit, rack, and the upgraded switches plus shipping. I e-mailed Bob this morning asking if any 3 ft RJ45 cables came with it. If you look at the listing of what's included and the picture there is no RJ45 listed nor shown. How do you connect the switches together?

Option )2

I was looking at this auction.

THE CCNA (ccnp) PLUS LAB 3640 SDM *CBT STUDY GUIDES* - eBay (item 280312443122 end time Feb-18-09 08:59:51 PST)

This lab kit would come out to what Bob is asking but I don't know how good their training material is.

Option )3

After looking at this lab kit on ebay, I was thinking why can't I just build my own and just buy the lab book off Bob. This is the cheapest option. The problem is I don't know what exactly kind of RJ45 is shown in that picture (Whether it's 6 cross-overs, 4 straight or 2 rollovers). Maybe someone could be nice enough to help me list the cables needed. Would I really need a 3640 that has 128 MB for a CCNA lab? The price difference on cablesandkits.com from 32 MB to 128 MB is about $120. So if I could get by with 32 MB and upgrade the ram later if needed is better.

I have read the faqs and Google CCNA lab kit's. The research needed to build a CCNA is like doing a research paper. I just want a lab kit to pass the CCNA and maybe go further. I just want to make sure I buy the correct device and not waste my money. The only thing I know about this kit from my research is that the 2950 switch is a must. The routers, jeez, you can use 2501, 2520, 2610, 3640 and so on. From what I read, I need to have 3 routers and make one a frame relay. This would make switching between the routers much easier.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments