Options

Help with my 2950 switch

djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
I got a 2950 off eBay and there are these blue plastic thingies blocking the RJ-45 jacks. I have no idea how to get them out. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Not sure what these thingies are but can you post a photo it might help.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably some kind of protecting cover.

I would hate to hear that some1 decided to putty up the jacks and sell off the switch!
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • Options
    They're the dust plugs or whatever you call them. I only have 4 ports w/o them. The rest are plugged. I imagine you need a special tool to remove them, of which I don't have. I took a needle nose to a coupe of them and managed to manhandle them out of there but I don't want to bust my switch doing this.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've never seen dust covers - Can you post a pic?> Hopefully the ports underneath are operational - We used to cut the plugs off of patch cables and leave them in dead ports to prevent them form being used in the future.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Well it doesn't matter now since I just took some needle nose pliers and a tiny flathead and basically ripped and pried them out. Took quite a bit of force too. I don't have a pic but they are basically blue plugs with no outer tab to remove them. I wonder if the jerk who sold it to me put them in there before shipping it out. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Those are expensive for a little cheap piece of plastic.

Also try to invest in a digital camera djhss68 :)
  • Options
    Yes, kale they are similar to those, but beefier.

Yeah Talic, a camera might be a wise investment considering all the help I'll probably be seeking from these forums with my new cisco gear. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Yeah Talic, a camera might be a wise investment considering all the help I'll probably be seeking from these forums with my new cisco gear. icon_lol.gif

Well not just cisco gear, I've had times come up when I wanted to post a picture of something and I find having a camera in reach is nice to have.

Selling stuff comes to mind, people always like pictures of something they are looking to buy and you get monies in return :)

I'm probably a bit bias to having a camera though, I'm a bit interested in it as a hobby but never got around to it. IT and school is enough for now.