Options

70-293 passed...MCSE!

rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well ladies and gentlemen, after 26 months of studying in my spare time, I finally achieved the elusive MCSE. I sat 70-293 tuesday afternoon and walked out with a 945. I didn't think this test was too bad, just very heavy on CAs. I also managed to get SEVEN sims on this exam.

My employer is sending me to a class on Hyper-V next week so I can build out a Hyper-V POC to put up against our current VMware infrastructure. So, my next step will be the corresponding Hyper-V exam.

Study materials used were the microsoft press book and CBT Nuggets. I didn't have the 70-293 nuggets, but I used videos from other tests that were on the same topic. I also have 3 years of Systems Engineer experience so that helped a little as well.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Huh, that's kind of a weird one to end it on. How'd you end up doing this one last?

No matter, congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Congratulations.

If you're looking at Hyper-V purely as a PoC then you might want to have a gander at the RC's of 2008 R2. That's got the new live migratation stuff that we know and love from VMware.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Wow, nice score. Congrats!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Congratulations !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Sounds like good times up for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Huh, that's kind of a weird one to end it on. How'd you end up doing this one last?

No matter, congratulations icon_cheers.gif

There's a weird story to go with it too. The last two I had left for MCSE were 293 & 294. I used a microsoft voucher for a 70-293 class and wanted to take the class right away, but the logistics didn't work out. The first class I could make it to was several months out. So, I decided to work on 70-294 while I waited and I managed to squeeze it in.

One piece of advice for other MCSE seekers, take the slow route like I did. I know it's tempting to enlist one of the **** companies and pump out that cert in just a few months...but I've seen the end result of this method and it's easy to see the difference on the job.
  • Options
    Congratulations.

If you're looking at Hyper-V purely as a PoC then you might want to have a gander at the RC's of 2008 R2. That's got the new live migratation stuff that we know and love from VMware.

That's exactly the plan. I sat through a Microsoft presentation last week and was a little shocked when he said that Hyper-V currently does not have a vMotion equivalent. He mentioned that it was out in beta and should be suppoted q3-q4 of this year. I'll definitely be going that route because, let's face it, if there's no vMotion it's a really easy choice regardless of the cost savings.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the MCSE!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!