MCDST similar to 70-270

johnsto34johnsto34 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I completed the MCDST certification in May 2008 and was wondering if a lot of the material would be similar to the 70-270 exam that i am hoping to do next, hoping eventually to get an MCSA. I was going to go straight for the exam and see how i do and if i fail then use the second shot option to do it again (after some revision this time) but was hoping initially that i could dive straight into the exam from the knowledge i got from the MCDST exam.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you wanna do the MCSA, why not just take the 70-621, and you get credit for the 70-620(Vista). knock out 2 birds with one stone...you get the upgrade certification, and the OS requirement for MCSA
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • johnsto34johnsto34 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this doesnt really answer my question. im not bothered about vista. just want to concentrate on the 70-270 really
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's going to be a lot of overlap, but 270 will be much more in depth. It's not going to deal with things like troubleshooting applications.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • bulletproof bababulletproof baba Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    johnsto34 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I completed the MCDST certification in May 2008 and was wondering if a lot of the material would be similar to the 70-270 exam that i am hoping to do next, hoping eventually to get an MCSA. I was going to go straight for the exam and see how i do and if i fail then use the second shot option to do it again (after some revision this time) but was hoping initially that i could dive straight into the exam from the knowledge i got from the MCDST exam.

Thanks guys.
    Hi,

I have done both mcdst and the 70-270

I went for the MCDST first, and my findings is that they are extremely easy, if you are in the field and know what you are doing, and plus they are a really good cert to have...

the 70-270 is VERY similar to 70-271...

MANY of the questions overlap, and they are both layed on the same foundation.

If you pass your mcdst, you will pass your 70-270..and if you pass your 70-270 you will definately pass your mcdst! because in my experience the 270 is slightly harder the 271, and i think 272, is probably the most difficult out of all!

Mainly because i underestimated it...

i scored in the 800s for all 3 exams, but slightly lower on the 270...

GOOD LUCK!
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I went about this test by studying for the 270...and thats what I tell some of the other techs in my dpt who are thinking about mcdst.

If you study well for the 270 you might as well book the 271 the same day or a few days after because they are really similar...and like one of the other posters mentioned if you pass the 270 with a good score then you will definitely pass 271 easy.

I found the 272 the easiest of the 3
  • johnsto34johnsto34 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got back from the 70-270 and having a much needed brew. Passed with 842! with only 2 days revision. (ok, so ive used xp for years now) really pleased.

70-290 and 70-291 next. wooo.........