Options

CCNA Recommended Equipment

SeefateSeefate Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently prepping for my CCNA tests. I read all four of the cisco CCNA books but now I need to spend some time with the equipment itself. I have been lurking these forums for a week or so reading post about what equipment to buy but it seems that there are a million different oppinions and suggestions and each one is a little different depending on what that person already has and such.

My question is what is the best equipment to have to pass the CCNA and could be used to some extent with future certs such as CCNP without going over the top.

I see a lot of talk about the 25xx and 26xx series routers. I also see a lot of talk about switches, specfically the 2900 series switches.

I am looking to make a reasonable investment ($300~$500) and currently have no equipment.

Any suggestions are welcomed, Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't refer to the switches simply as 2900 series because you want 2950s or 2960s, not the others, such as 2924s.

As far as the CCNA goes, pretty much any 2500 or 2600 with maximum memory and a current IOS will get you through. You'll want a router with multiple serial ports, like a 2520 or a 2600 with a NM, for frame relay. You might want to look at the 2600XMs if you're planning on going on to the NP.

If I could do it again, I'd get three 2950s, and a really nice 2600XM. I'd then use the IOS from that router with dynamips/dynagen for my other routers.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    Seefate wrote: »
    I am currently prepping for my CCNA tests. I read all four of the cisco CCNA books but now I need to spend some time with the equipment itself. I have been lurking these forums for a week or so reading post about what equipment to buy but it seems that there are a million different oppinions and suggestions and each one is a little different depending on what that person already has and such.

My question is what is the best equipment to have to pass the CCNA and could be used to some extent with future certs such as CCNP without going over the top.

I see a lot of talk about the 25xx and 26xx series routers. I also see a lot of talk about switches, specfically the 2900 series switches.

I am looking to make a reasonable investment ($300~$500) and currently have no equipment.

Any suggestions are welcomed, Thanks!

Make sure you get at least one router that can run SDM (ie. 2600XM or 3640 w/maxed out memory/flash).