Options

Crimping own cables?

I haven't crimped any cables in years and when I did it, they came out very sloppy looking (wires exposed near connectors). I'm considering buying a 1000ft. ream of cable and using it to crimp my own since I need both str8 through and crossover. I figure it will give me some good experience in the process. Is there any suggested way of doing it or guides out there? Any suggested crimp tool that works well?

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    It takes practice, patience and a good cable tester icon_wink.gif
    How to Make a Category 5 /5e Patch Cable

My crimper is an 'Ideal industry' brand and has worked well for me.
    IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Telemaster™ Telephone Tool
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    It takes practice, patience and a good cable tester icon_wink.gif
    How to Make a Category 5 /5e Patch Cable

My crimper is an 'Ideal industry' brand and has worked well for me.
    IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Telemaster™ Telephone Tool

Recommend and good cable testers?
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Recommend and good cable testers?

My cable tester is also made by Ideal industries. I've never had a problem with it. But I haven't used any others, so I can't really compare any.
    IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - VDV MultiMedia Cable Tester Kit

For simplicity, you can find both the crimper and tester at home depot. The tester was like $80 and the crimper was about $50 or so. They have all the RJ-45 ends as well.

Otherwise that lanshack website sells all that stuff and more, just depends on your needs. ie, do you plan on using it for coax, telephone, ect....
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I haven't crimped any cables in years and when I did it, they came out very sloppy looking (wires exposed near connectors). I'm considering buying a 1000ft. ream of cable and using it to crimp my own since I need both str8 through and crossover. I figure it will give me some good experience in the process. Is there any suggested way of doing it or guides out there? Any suggested crimp tool that works well?

I personally have the EZ-Crimp tool with the ezcrimp connectors. Just feed through the ends of the wire in the desired order and crimp. You can get this tool for around 45 i believe. Of course the regular one works just as well.

I have both tools but prefer the easier one.
    EZ Crimp Tools RJ45, RJ11/12
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ULWiz wrote: »
    I personally have the EZ-Crimp tool with the ezcrimp connectors.
    Ditto.

I gave up making my own cables until I found the EZRJ-45 Connectors and Crimping Tool.

Of course I'm still working off the stockpile of bulk cables I purchased -- so the Crimper & EZRJ-55 connectors only comes out on special occasions and holidays.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    +1 on the Ideal crimp tool. Whatever crimp tool you decide to purchase, don't go cheap. I've used a couple cheapos, and they are worthless.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in exactly the same situation afew days ago.I had'nt crimped a cable in about 8 years, needless to say i first few were terrible and i felt like i just didn't have the required skill.The solution was to bring my crimper to work and watch an expert crimp a cable, thats it i'm crimping like a pro now.
    I juts needed to see the technique of lining all the wires up, bending and twisting to get them all to line up straight.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    The trick is to bend back and forth when you have the wires lined up. Keep doing it until they are pretty tightly lined up (my co workers used to joke about this... hehe). Then line up the cut off jacket part to the RJ connector, it should end at the little line piece on the connector. Just off the excess wires and insert them in the connector then crimp when you're sure they are all making connections.

Just keep practicing until you don't see any wires showing outside the connector.