Options

How long are your study sessions?

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm starting on ICDN1 and I can only do 1 hour per day so far.. Maybe 2 if I don't get distracted.

-edit- yet another example of being distracted.. I should be studying right now!

Comments

• Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    I read the Cisco Press books on the bus on the way to and from work (1 hour each way) on weekdays and maybe 2-3 hours each day on the weekend.

When the exam was close, i upped the time a bit to maybe 4-5 hours on the weekend.
  • Options
    Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work 6 - 7 days a week between my two jobs, so i dont have the weekends to do much study. But when I do usually study for 3 - 5 hours at a time, usually Monday - Thursday evenings 7 - 10/12 and same on sunday evenings.

Usually it is a read through the official literature, the tutorial videos, an exam study guide, labs and as I get closer a combination of the last 3. By the time I hit the tutorial video's I summarise all of the information into 10 - 30 page documents to cram cram cram before I sleep each night leading up to the exam.
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    put in as many hours as you can, read as many materials (trusted) as you can, i used to do one hour a day, and on the weekends before the exam 6-7 hours.
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    daJwaydaJway Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wake up at 5 AM.
    Study from 5 to 8
    Work from 9 to 12
    School from 12 to 1:30
    Work from 2 to 5
    School from 5:30 to 8
    Study from 8 to 10

Repeat lol
    feels like I do the same thing everyday, but my wife knows its only for a short time. I have like two more weeks before I take my ICND2.

I go to school for Cisco networking so I study about 7 hours a day.
    Jason
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Each person is different in terms of their study habits. What I tell people is that they should find what works best for them and stick to it! I like to study at cafe's and find the ambience of an up-beat, loud, and active crowd to be soothing. Helps me stay awake even though I am wearing noise canceling headphones while listening to John Digweed.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get up at 4:30am for work, am out the door at 5am, work 6am to 6pm. Hr drive back home, walk in the door at 7pm..spend a couple of hrs with the soon to be wife and 3 yr old...not much studying can be done on a workday..unless work is slow.

The bright side is, with my weird schedule I get a lot of days off during the week, so those days I can make up for a lack of studying on the workdays.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention how long my study sessions are. Usually, I average about 4-5 hours per session. Lately with the new job, I haven't been able to since I'm just too tired at the end of the day because its just way too busy since I'm getting a ton of stuff thrown in my direction. Normally, I average 5 days a week where I can fit studying into the schedule. This past Friday, I squeezed a solid 9 hours straight. The key really is finding what helps make your studying click. I usually drink flavored teas, some people like coffee where as others like imported water. Some like the library, but others like the picnic table at a park. Do a little searching and experimenting.

Cafe + flavored tea + music + noise canceling headphones + busy atmosphere = best study environment for me.

What's yours? Once you find it, I bet your studying time will triple if not quadruple! ;)
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I usually start around 7pm on week day evenings and finish up around 9 - 9:30pm. Weekends can be around 6 hours each day. I started at 10am this morning and its 5pm now, saying that I just got my site to site VPN working so I'm happy :)
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I get up at 4:30am for work, am out the door at 5am, work 6am to 6pm. Hr drive back home, walk in the door at 7pm..spend a couple of hrs with the soon to be wife and 3 yr old...not much studying can be done on a workday..unless work is slow.

The bright side is, with my weird schedule I get a lot of days off during the week, so those days I can make up for a lack of studying on the workdays.

I hear you there!!! I've got a 3 1/2 year old...makes study almost impossible..."play with me Daddy!!!".

I also have a job that can get pretty quiet sometimes so I watch CBT Nuggets and Train Signal on my work PC when I get a chance. I also read the ICND2 Cisco Press book on the half hour each way train ride. I try to put some study in on the weekend but that usually ends up being a disaster.

I guess it depends on the timeframe, if you're in no big hurry then you can do a little less regular study. icon_study.gif