Options

How to test newly purchased equipment?

I just bought a bunch of used equipment off ebay. What's the best way to test that these units and there interfaces are in good working order? I'm mostly concerned about the routers.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ping across the interfaces, check the interface stats.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Plug it in. Turn it on. If it boots up without any unexpected errors and all the interfaces work when you test them then chances are its okay...
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    Well this is wonderful so far I've checked 3 of my routers:

1st 3640 appears to have no IOS installed on it. When I console to it it just brings me to some "rommon" prompt.

EDIT: This unit boots fine when I remove the WIC-1T card I installed before booting it up the first time. Also boots TREMENDOUSLY faster than my other 3640 with the same specs.

2nd 3640 appears is showing errors on bootup relating to my NM-2E2W card. It see both interfaces but fails to initial them when I try to turn those interfaces on.

2610 won't boot with the NM-8A/S I purchased for it, it just constantly cycles through start-up and then decompresses over and over in a loop. Boots fine with NM taken out.

Please tell me I'm just an idiot and I'm missing some steps here. Does something need to be done before installing NM's and WIC's? Do the NM's WIC's need to be in specific slots?
  • Options
    Well this is wonderful so far I've checked 3 of my routers:

1st 3640 appears to have no IOS installed on it. When I console to it it just brings me to some "rommon" prompt.

EDIT: This unit boots fine when I remove the WIC-1T card I installed before booting it up the first time. Also boots TREMENDOUSLY faster than my other 3640 with the same specs.

2nd 3640 appears is showing errors on bootup relating to my NM-2E2W card. It see both interfaces but fails to initial them when I try to turn those interfaces on.

2610 won't boot with the NM-8A/S I purchased for it, it just constantly cycles through start-up and then decompresses over and over in a loop. Boots fine with NM taken out.

Please tell me I'm just an idiot and I'm missing some steps here. Does something need to be done before installing NM's and WIC's? Do the NM's WIC's need to be in specific slots?
    Post a log.

They're both regular WIC slots in a NM-2E2W. Some routers have slots that only take VICs but not in your case.
  • Options
    1st 3640:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C3600 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xbde594
    Self decompressing the image : #########################################################################
    ########################################################################################################
    ########################################################################################################
    ## [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
    smart init is sizing iomem
    ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
    00001E 0X0007DE80 Combination Dual Ethernet 2 WAN
    0X0010A6F8 public buffer pools
    0X00211000 public particle pools
    TOTAL: 0X00399578

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
    "UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
    configuration or there is a software problem.
    System operation may be compromised.
    Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb.
    Using 3 percent iomem. [4Mb/128Mb]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-JK2S-M), Version 12.1(3a)XI8, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
    Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 06-Feb-02 20:15 by liha
    Image text-base: 0x60008950, data-base: 0x61478000

Compliance with U.S. Export Laws and Regulations - Encryption

This product performs encryption and is regulated for export
    by the U.S. Government.

This product is not authorized for use by persons located
    outside the United States and Canada that do not have prior
    approval from Cisco Systems, Inc. or the U.S. Government.

This product may not be exported outside the U.S. and Canada
    either by physical or electronic means without PRIOR approval
    of Cisco Systems, Inc. or the U.S. Government.

Persons outside the U.S. and Canada may not re-export, resell,
    or transfer this product by either physical or electronic means
    without prior approval of Cisco Systems, Inc. or the U.S.
    Government.

cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 28010674
    R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).
    TN3270 Emulation software.
    2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:16: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to up
    00:00:16: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to up
    00:00:17: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to down
    00:00:17: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to down
    00:01:00: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to administratively down
    00:01:00: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to administratively down
    00:01:01: %IP-5-WEBINST_KILL: Terminating DNS process
    00:01:02: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-JK2S-M), Version 12.1(3a)XI8, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
    Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 06-Feb-02 20:15 by liha
    Router>Translating "Router"...domain server (255.255.255.255)

Router>

2nd 3640:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C3600 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x1aa64c8
    Self decompressing the image : #########################################################################
    ############################################################### [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
    smart init is sizing iomem
    ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
    00001E 0X0007DE80 Combination Dual Ethernet 2 WAN
    0X00209770 public buffer pools
    0X00211000 public particle pools
    TOTAL: 0X004985F0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
    "UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
    configuration or there is a software problem and
    system operation may be compromised.
    Rounded IOMEM up to: 5Mb.
    Using 3 percent iomem. [5Mb/128Mb]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3640-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(1a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 27-May-05 16:29 by hqluong
    Image text-base: 0x60008FD4, data-base: 0x62A64000

% Failed to initialize QUICC(0)Port Statistics for unclassified packets is not turned on.

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    Export Compliance Product Report Application

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.

Cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 125952K/5120K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 26426968
    R4700 CPU at 100MHz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    125K bytes of NVRAM.
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar 1 00:00:11.139: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:00:15.991: %CPM-3-INCORRECT_ID: CPM at slot 0: PCI device not supported
    *Mar 1 00:00:16.059: %AMDP2_FE-1-INITFAIL: Ethernet0/0 CSR0=0xFFFF0004
    *Mar 1 00:00:16.059: %CPM-3-INCORRECT_ID: CPM at slot 0: PCI device not supported
    *Mar 1 00:00:16.131: %AMDP2_FE-1-INITFAIL: Ethernet0/1 CSR0=0xFFFF0004
    *Mar 1 00:00:16.131: %CPM-3-INCORRECT_ID: CPM at slot 0: PCI device not supported
    *Mar 1 00:00:16.131: %CPM-3-DISCOVER: CPM at slot 0: PCI discovery failed count = 0sslinit fn

*Mar 1 00:00:24.299: %SYS-3-HARIKARI: Process CCSIP_UDP_SOCKET top-level routine exited
    *Mar 1 00:00:24.323: %IP-5-WEBINST_KILL: Terminating DNS process
    *Mar 1 00:00:24.327: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0/0, changed state to administratively down
    *Mar 1 00:00:24.327: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0/1, changed state to administratively down
    *Mar 1 00:00:24.327: %LINEPROTO-
    Router>5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface , changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:00:27.331: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0/0, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:00:27.331: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0/1, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:05:03.711: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
    Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3640-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.4(1a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 27-May-05 16:29 by hqluong
    *Mar 1 00:05:03.719: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Router is undergoing a cold start
    *Mar 1 00:05:03.747: %SYS-3-HARIKARI: Process CCH323_CT top-level routine exited
    Router>
    Router>
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What kind of errors? Configuration errors or hardware errors? Does it say anything when you try to "initial them?" You're talking about the no shut command, right? Do you have a network cable plugged in and attached to something else that's also up and active?
    2610 won't boot with the NM-8A/S I purchased for it
    Test the NM-8A/S in a working 3640. The 2600XM routers support the NM-8A/S, not sure about the 2600 series. Check the Data Sheets on the Cisco Web Site. Does the 2610 work without the NM-8A/S installed?

What IOS Versions are you running.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What kind of errors? Configuration errors or hardware errors? Does it say anything when you try to "initial them?" You're talking about the no shut command, right? Do you have a network cable plugged in and attached to something else that's also up and active?

To be honest I'm not sure, I'm pretty new at working with Cisco equipment. Yes I'm talking about the no shutdown command. I have nothing plugged into any of the interfaces.

Test the NM-8A/S in a working 3640. The 2600XM routers support the NM-8A/S, not sure about the 2600 series. Check the Data Sheets on the Cisco Web Site. Does the 2610 work without the NM-8A/S installed?

What IOS Versions are you running.

The 2610 boots up fine without the NM-8A/S installed. According to the Cisco website it does support the NM-8A/S. I will try putting it into one of my 3640's.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm not sure, I'm pretty new at working with Cisco equipment. Yes I'm talking about the no shutdown command. I have nothing plugged into any of the interfaces.
    The first 3640 see's 2 Ethernet interfaces. If you have a crossover cable plug one port into the other. Do the ports come up?

The 2nd 3640 sees nothing. Are you sure whatever you have in Slot 0 is fully seated? What do you have installed?

show diag may give you some additional information

do a show version to see if your configuration register is 0x2102
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The first 3640 see's 2 Ethernet interfaces. If you have a crossover cable plug one port into the other. Do the ports come up?

The 2nd 3640 sees nothing. Are you sure whatever you have in Slot 0 is fully seated? What do you have installed?

show diag may give you some additional information

do a show version to see if your configuration register is 0x2102

The first one appears to be working fine, as long as the WIC-1T is not installed.

The 2nd one takes a LONG time to load, about 10 times as long as the first one. I reseated the NM and now it appears to be working fine.

I will try re-installing the WIC-1T's in both to see what happens.

BTW, the 2610 boots fine without the NM-8A/S but not with it. The 3640 boots fine with the NM-8A/S and all the Serial ports are working.
  • Options
    Try the WIC-1T in the 2610 and see if it works there.

Otherwise, same as the NM in the 3640, make sure the WIC-1T is firmly (and evenly) seated. If you have 2 WIC Slots, try it in the "other slot." Us show diag to see if the card is recognized.

I use the palm of my hand to "bump" the NM into position once I've slid it into place (before I snug up the screws). With the WICs I use the "2 thumb wiggle" to seat the card and follow up with snugging down the screws.
  • Options
    Sure enough all devices seem to be working now. I'm not sure what it was. I reseated one NM, switched a WIC-1T from Slot1 to Slot0, and reseated the NM-8A/S in the 2610 and now it's all working. Go figure but I'm very happy. Thanks everyone for trying to help, this forum is one of the most helpful I've ever come across.

Does anyone know the best way to update these devices to the latest versions of the IOS? Please PM me if you can, thanks.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the best way to update these devices to the latest versions of the IOS?
    You usually want to buy used routers with the latest/greatest IOS already installed so that you can avoid the hassle (and cost) of SmartNet Contracts to do legal updates/upgrades.
  • Options
    The NM bus is actually based on PCI with some extra signals and circuitry. It isn't too surprising that you'd get weird errors and be unable to boot if the NM isn't seated properly. The bus would end up in a strange state due to only some of the bus lines being connected.

You can at least copy the 12.4 IOS from your 2nd router to the 1st.

C3640-JK2S-M - Version 12.1(3a)XI8 - ENTERPRISE PLUS IPSEC 3DES
    C3640-JK9O3S-M - Version 12.4(1a) - ENTERPRISE/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You can at least copy the 12.4 IOS from your 2nd router to the 1st.

C3640-JK2S-M - Version 12.1(3a)XI8 - ENTERPRISE PLUS IPSEC 3DES
    C3640-JK9O3S-M - Version 12.4(1a) - ENTERPRISE/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES
    But make sure you do the CCNA Lab first where you practice backing up your current router IOS images and configurations.

The 12.1 is kind of old.... but its your only backup option if you find a bug in the 12.4 version in a feature you're trying to study.

That is a sweet 12.4 feature set.... should also be useful for the BSCI exam (with Dynamips/Dynagen).