*TechNotes* 70-270 Windows XP Pro

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I just finished rewriting/editing all the current 70-270 TechNotes. 'Technically' nothing has changed, but I did remove several spelling and grammar errors and improved overall readibility.

Reason I did this is that I'm working on the PDF versions of the 70-270 TechNotes. There will be a free version, containing all the online TechNotes as chapters in an ebook (PDF), and a Special Edition, contains the same as the free version + our online practice exam + several additional practice exams (not sure yet how much in total).

But first, I will complete the remaining online 70-270 TechNotes udring the next couple of weeks (titled a bit different than I mentioned earlier):

- EFS (almost complete)
    - System Peformance
    - TCP/IP
    - Dial-up networking
    - Local Security
    - Internet Explorer
    OK, I finished the the Encrypted File System (EFS) TechNotes

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/efs.shtml
    Covers Encrypted File System (EFS), Recovery Agents, and CIPHER command.

One System Performance TechNote coming up...

Johan
    Just finished and updated the Auditing TechNotes, which covers local Audit Policy and Event Viewer's security log configuration:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/auditing.shtml
    One System Performance TechNote coming up...
    Almost done with that one as well. The free version PDF with TechNotes for all the 70-270 exam objectives will be available for download in 2 or 3 weeks tops, the Special Edition a couple of weeks after that.
  • dervondervon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed the exam (810/1000), thanks fot the excellent technotes :) .
    Congrats Dervon and thanks for the feedback!

For those who still have to pass this exam, here's the Performance TechNotes:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/performance.shtml
    Covers memory, processor, disk, and application performance, Task Manager, System Monitor and Performance Logs and Alerts, Disk Defragmenter, Scheduled Tasks, and Visual Effects.

These and the remaining TechNotes will end up in the PDF version soon, so if you have any comments do let me know.
  • 4SG4SG Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster - Just so you know, when I click the link above it goes to 70-270 Windows XP TechNote: Performance (as it should). When I click the members-only printer friendly version, it goes to the Printer TechNote (printable form). Many thanks for the TechNotes.
    Thanks! I fixed the link.
  • midstoveilanmidstoveilan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm slated to take the 70-270 April 4th. So, I have a month or so to prepare.

I have the Net + and A + from Comptia and I'm curious as to the scoring system. With comptia some questions are harder and are worth more points and others are easier and do not count as much. Is it the same with MS or is a a flat rating?
    Jon

"Friendly Fire Ain't" -- Murphy's Law
  • midstoveilanmidstoveilan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How you say addennnnneedum...adeeeennndum...adddd-..addition.

In conjunction with my last post, I think it would be helpful if there was a small section in the technotes with phone numbers for scheduling the exams, general exam requirements etc. Just a basic FAQ for the generic information.
    Jon

"Friendly Fire Ain't" -- Murphy's Law
    In conjunction with my last post, I think it would be helpful if there was a small section in the technotes with phone numbers for scheduling the exams, general exam requirements etc. Just a basic FAQ for the generic information.
    Sounds like a good plan, will do. Thanks :)

I just upload new TechNotes for the following two exam objectives:

- Connect to resources by using Internet Explorer.
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot Internet Explorer security settings.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/ie.shtml

3 or 4 more to go for the PDF... :D

Johan
    1 more down... 3 to go...

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/localusersgroups.shtml
    Covers Local Users and Groups, account settings, account policies, and user rights assignment, i.o.w. the following exam objectives:

Configure, manage, and troubleshoot local user and group accounts.
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot account settings.
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot account policy.
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot user and group rights.

I might change or add some things to this one later, depending on the Local Security TechNotes I'm currently working on, which comes before the Local User and Group Account TechNotes in the eventual PDF.

The other two left are TCP/IP, and Dial-up Networking...
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your doing a great job webmaster. Keep up the good work!
  • squawk1500squawk1500 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey does anyone know if the 70-270 covers SP2 icon_confused.gif:
  • jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey I was wondering if there is a downloadable pdf file for the technotes on 70-270? Would be willing to pay, like the N+ technotes were excellent. Thanks for all guys in this great forum and superb service by the webmaster for this site and all the knowledge of tech tests.

JDog29
    Hey JDog,

I haven't finished writing TechNotes for all the 70-270 objectives yet. When I finished the last 3 (see previous posts) there'll be a free version PDF first. It will take a while before I'll have a special edition for the 70-270 exam as writing 70-270 takes 'some' time, but I expect the free version to be ready somewhere in June. I'll probably have the PDF versions for the Security+ exam ready first. ETA's may change without prior notice ;)

Thanks,
    Johan
  • BimbiBimbi Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I am scheduling my exam tomorrow. I hope to take it next week. Been reading Sybex, ExcamCram's and XP Help. Now I am spending the weekend in the Quarantine and I find info in this site very helpfull.

I will post my results soon.

P.S Webmaster you are doing a good job with this.
  • fueresfueres Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Webmaster....

Great job!!! These technotes are really good reading.

I´m taking my exam on friday and i´m sure this is going to help me (although i just started reading them yesterday!)

Congratulations.
    Thanks and good luck on Friday :)
  • simpleman2simpleman2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent Technotes!!!! This site is fantastic. I used the Net+ technotes along with the Sybex book and passed easily last year. After taking some time off, I am diving into 70-270, 70-290, and Security+. With a book and this website I should have no problem passing. Thanks again.
    Welcome back and thanks for the words :)
  • fueresfueres Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey webmaster........

I´d like to thank u and everybody that helped in this forum!!!
    I just passed the 70-270 today!!
    the technotes are really good!

really good job.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Auditing:
    Windows XP offers the following audit policy:
    Audit account logon events Audit users logging on or logging off to another computer using an account from this computer.

IMHO should be:

Audit account logon events Audit users authentications from other hosts using an account from this computer.

Jacolex
    noone wrote:
    Auditing:
    Windows XP offers the following audit policy:
    Audit account logon events - Audit users logging on or logging off to another computer using an account from this computer.

IMHO should be:

Audit account logon events - Audit users authentications from other hosts using an account from this computer.

You underlined 'from this computer', but as you can see in the part you quoted, that's what I wrote too. So I'm not sure why you think your description is better. Maybe I should double check and reread your post again after today's first cup of coffee, but imo it says the same thing.
    Microsoft wrote:
    Determines whether to audit each instance of a user logging on to or logging off from another computer in which this computer is used to validate the account.
    "in which this computer is used to validate the account" means the account is on this computer (local user db on a member, or ADS on a DC). Hence, says the same thing I did.
    Microsoft wrote:
    If success auditing for account logon events is enabled on a domain controller, an entry is logged for each user who is validated against that domain controller, even though the user is actually logging on to a workstation that is joined to the domain.

Comparing this to what I wrote: "Audit users logging on or logging off to another computer using an account from this computer."
    'this' computer is the DC, and a domain member is 'another' computer. So the if the audit policy is enabled on a DC it logs a user logging on to or logging off from a Windows XP client ('another' computer') and using an account on 'this computer (Domain account on DC).
    Microsoft wrote:
    This audits logon events where this computer is used to authenticate the user. In other words, on a DC, this will audit all domain logon events, whereas on a domain member, it will only audit those events where a local account was used.

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/515.mspx

Free feel to eleborate a bit more if you think I missed something.
  • jacolexjacolex Inactive Imported Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, the underline from this computer was not necessary.
    Audit users logging on or logging off to another
    may be understood, for example may be interpreted, that users are logging into some computer (which is in domain or not), using an account from specified computer in the same workgroup. But this is of course impossible.
    May I wrong ?

Microsoft wrote, that
    user logging on to or logging off from another computer
    , that I'm interpreting, that users are logging by the network from another computer to this computer, because only possibility to use local XP account is to use it for authenticate local logons or network logons to this computer only.

The missunderstood is result from interpreting the word "to" in sentence
    to another computer
    , that reader may interpet, that local account may be used to authenticate logons on another computers in workgroup or domain.
  • kovokovo Member Posts: 122
    Will studying these tech notes inside out be enough to pass the MCP????
    Knowing them inside out will make a big difference, but reading the TechNotes alone is of course not enough to become certified. You will need hands-on experience for Microsoft exams, so reading alone can't be enough. If you have a lot of experience with XP, or practice in a lab, and combine that with my TechNotes and a good book and a good set of practice exams, then you'll not only pass the exam, but actually know the material on a level that deserves certification.
  • donjuanedonjuane Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry this is probably considered off topic but I have a question regarding you article on Audit Policies. On XP I have gone into Local Security Settings and set "Audit Object Access" to "success" and re-booted. However, when I go to the properties folder on a file or printer, there is no "security" tab to be found to set the logging on.

What am I missing?
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    you have to turn off Simple File Sharing.

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > clear the Use Simple File Sharing option (the last option).

also you have to be using NTFS, but i'll assume you are.
    witty comment
  • catangangcatangang Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Webmaster
    Its a great and interesting state for haven't been in this forum just for the brief surfing and reading the different articles written by all. I see all here have to contribute. I salute you all. Pliz Moderator i am a potential MCP candidate and about to start preparing for the CERT and will like to know if these technotes can be solely depended on for preparing (with absence of the MOC) and BOSON test b4 sitting for the exams. Please help me through to inform me how much TECHNOTES can help me.
    I do wish all a nice day and i am happy to be in the forum.