Options

What cert to pursue?

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I have a degree in computer networking (associates) and searched around for a job for a long time.. I landed a job for a helpdesk position but I am not too satisfied because half the calls are not even technical. I am though getting some work with some projects (altiris workflow etc) and some extra duties with the help desk software to utilize some of my knowledge. I am wondering if I should skip the A+ and N+ and pursue a better cert to reach the next level or spend the money and take the a+, n+.. I would like to move up within a year or so to network support/technician or even higher. Any suggestions? Thanks..

Comments

• Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    If you want to skip CompTIA A+ and N+ and want to do Networking you go Cisco (CCNA&CCNP) or Juniper.
    But I still recommend getting the Network+ or Security+ from CompTIA.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend going for the A+ and N+ just because they are quick and easy to get if you have any IT experience whatsoever. Then I would look at CCNA if you like networking... that seems to be the Cert Du Jour nowadays.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"