Booked

nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've booked my 70-293 for Friday 17th April, today. The 15% OFF voucher from my 70-293 MS Press book had expired so I tried to use the 15% OFF voucher from my 70-290 MS Press book but it wouldn't work! So I registered for Second Shot and booked with that, instead.

I'd rather have got the money off because I never plan on failing a test, but I guess that the Second Shot will help to take off some of the pressure of failure - I just hope that it doesn't make me complacent!

I bought a HP Procurve 2524 (J4813A) switch off Ebay (£30) to connect all my VMs to, the idea being that I could also get some experience of managing Procurve hardware because we largely have HP kit at work, but it's so noisy I can't consider using it in my study!

I've looked into replacing the fan and have tried a couple of replacements but they trip the switch's Fan Status warning because they are drawing less current than the OEM fan in the 2524 (it's a 5v 60mm x 15mm pulling 0.31A). I have a 0.50A fan that works with the switch but it's too deep at 25mm to fit into the switch housing - gutted!
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!

Comments

• docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you not fit your fan on the outside ?, I have had similar problems
    and sometimes you just have to 'lash it together' !

Good luck with planned exam, is this your first ?

I have mine booked for 10th March, bring it on !!
    Cheers
    DocSpawn
  • nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi docspawn, yes I could have the fan on the outside, or even leave the top off of the switch - although I'd happily lash something together Heath Robinson-stylee for someone else, it's a different story when it's for myself, I like things to be neat and tidy.

The noisy Procurve I think I will take to work and put in the rack with the others; I can practice with it there and not be bothered by the noise! In the meantime I'll try and find something quieter - I've heard the Cisco 2950 is quiet, and it would be a good starting point for building a Cisco lab.

It's not my first exam, I have completed MCSA and I'm pushing on towards MCSE hopefully this year or early 2010 - good luck with your exam too!
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!