Options

Basic Question

zack429zack429 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi ALL,

I am fairly new to the Networking. I've been a database/business intelligence developer/administrator for quite a while now. My company has wants me to pick up on CCNA and that's what made me join this forum.

My question is: What does Ethernet literally means. I came across this term often in the networking books. Does it mean a cable or something? Pardon my ignorance and thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wikipedia is great for stuff like this: Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your CCNA :D
  • Options
    I did search before asking this and I have no clue what it's saying. This definition doesn't fit what the books are referring to.
  • Options
    I did search before asking this and I have no clue what it's saying. This definition doesn't fit what the books are referring to. I thought some one can put it simply to help me understand.icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to be specific about what you're not understanding; it's too broad of a topic to simply fill you in on.

I guess you could essentially describe it as a set of standards for cabling and connectors.

Honestly, if you're this new to networking, you might want to consider starting with the Network+ (or at least reading a book or two if you don't want to take the exam). You're probably going to struggle with the CCNA if you don't know the fundamentals.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Ethernet is a broad term for a set of standards that facilitate communication. The standards are neccessary so that different devices and vendors' equipment can transmit data using a pre-defined set of protocols.

Most Ethernet nowadays has a few characteristics you might recognize:
    -10/100 or 1000 megabits per second
    -Using 8-wire "twisted pair" cable
    -Using RJ45 jacks
    -Making use a devices MAC address
    -Using switches
    -Using wireless.

Of course, this isn't really what ethernet "is", just the features it "has".

Your database application sends a query, the query goes from the application to the operating system. The OS uses the TCP/IP stack to encode the query a specific way, and then the OS uses the drivers of the (ethernet) network card to get it ready to go out on the wire. It goes out on the wire to its destination.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your reply guys. Now i understand how broad the term is. I was reading a book and was stuck. But anyways, I appreciate your replies. Thanks!
  • Options
    I found it in the book, in the third chapter icon_surprised.gif

The term Ethernet refers to a family of protocols and standards that together define the physical and data link layers of the world’s most popular type of LAN