RIS

Just did my first RIS installation. Damn, this stuff is so cool. It even formats the drive for you. Boot from NIC, enter your credentials and everything else can be automated.

So good, I need a cigarette.

Hint: Had to stop and restart the BINLSVC to get it to work... otherwise the NIC just wouldnt get the boot code. Even though the wizard kept saying RIS was installed properly it was still necessary. Learning is fun. Hands on is the best way. :)
I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Cool. What do you have for a setup? I'm getting ready to finish my 215 lab. Just two machines, one for a server, and the other as two clients with a VM application.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Heh.. a rather complicated setup running both a workgroup and a domain from a single wired router with a wireless access point and client to stretch net access into my room where the lab resides.

Win 2003 Server (Primany Domain Controller; DNS; RIS and more to add soon) is an Athlon 2400 with 640MB and a pair of 20 gb hds.
    Two clients - a Celeron 450 w/256MB and a Duron 700 also with 256MB.

So far... I have bits and parts all over the place, just needed cases to fill out 3 of 4 more machines if I choose.

It's a lot of fun. I read about it, watch a video, then do it myself. The best part is when it doesnt work right and you have to figure out why.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.