Options

possible employment

bryantstewartbryantstewart Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I got a phone call this morning for possible employment as a desktop support tech with a local hospital. They were happy that I had relevant experience as an intern desktop support tech for two sites with a major health system when I first got out of high school. The phone interview with the IT manager went well. He said I should be getting a call to schedule a face to face interview within the next couple of days. If all goes well, it looks like I will be finally getting out of electronic manufacturing after 3 long years.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck with the Interview. icon_cool.gif

But don't let the Interview mess with your CCNA Preparation :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Good Luck with the Interview. icon_cool.gif

But don't let the Interview mess with your CCNA Preparation :D

No way. I have been putting in 4-6 hours/day Mon-Thur every week. I gave up studying for it about a year ago and I can't believe that I let myself do that. I see the light at the end of the tunnel this time.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Good luck! I had a phone and an in person interview with HCMC and even though they liked me, they ended up promoting someone internally. The fact that you have previous experience is important to Healthcare institutions so I would work on highlighting that experience. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Good luck! I had a phone and an in person interview with HCMC and even though they liked me, they ended up promoting someone internally. The fact that you have previous experience is important to Healthcare institutions so I would work on highlighting that experience. :)

Thanks man! I have been getting really discouraged over the past year. It has been hard for me to even get a help desk job since I moved up here to Saint Paul. I guess it pays to know people. What is HCMC if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks man! I have been getting really discouraged over the past year. It has been hard for me to even get a help desk job since I moved up here to Saint Paul. I guess it pays to know people. What is HCMC if you don't mind me asking?

Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. It sure does pay to know people, speaking of, do you have a LinkedIn account? Have you thought about applying at Comcast? It's not the kind of helpdesk job that I would recommend since it's external facing but perhaps they have some positions for an internal helpdesk?

Have you looked into Ecolab, Imation, The Hartford, 3M, Shavlik, API Group? How about the State or City jobs?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. It sure does pay to know people, speaking of, do you have a LinkedIn account? Have you thought about applying at Comcast? It's not the kind of helpdesk job that I would recommend since it's external facing but perhaps they have some positions for an internal helpdesk?

Have you looked into Ecolab, Imation, The Hartford, 3M, Shavlik, API Group? How about the State or City jobs?

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I do have a LinkedIn account. You have a PM.

UPDATE:
    Going for an interview with the IT manager tomorrow. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Might not be a bad idea to brush up on HIPAA a bit before going into the interview.

Good luck!
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Well, how did it go?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

motogpman wrote: »
    Well, how did it go?

Going in at 9:30am tomorrow.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Ok, NOW how did it go..LOL! Hopefully well and you are going to tell us everything has worked out for you.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    motogpman wrote: »
    Ok, NOW how did it go..LOL! Hopefully well and you are going to tell us everything has worked out for you.

"It went well and everything worked out for me." lol

Going for the drug screening and paperwork tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! I hope the job works out great for you. Enjoy it and learn as much as you can!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate, hope everything goes well for you, it sounds like your previous experience is going to be very useful in your new job.
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to start.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Did you study for your drug test? =)
  • Options
    aordal wrote: »
    Did you study for your drug test? =)

Pulled an allnighter.

The first day went great guys.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Pulled an allnighter.

The first day went great guys.

Great! That's good news!
  • Options
    leefdaddy7leefdaddy7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! I used to work a Healthcare company in the iT dept. Just remember to let all that patient info you hear go in one ear and out the next. It's not your concern... that's what the Dr.'s are for.

Brush up on HIPAA but don't throw it someones face on day 1 either. The hea;thcare industry is an interesting place to work. If you ever end up in the billing office you'll see a whole other world that you didn't know about. I never understood how medical billing worked until then. Definiately an eye opener.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus