Options

GPO and Inheritance

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been studying for 70-270 for a a a while and i'm looking for a good resource to explain GPOs, LGPOs, OU, Inheritance, etc

I'm currently using the Sybex book to study and it is a little confusing on these subjects.
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LSDOU is probably the most important thing you need to remember when it comes to inheritance.

Local < Site < Domain < OU

The Microsoft Press 70-270 book gives you a good run-down on how GPOs are assigned and the inheritance process.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Check out Royal's sticky notes for the 294 exam about group policy. It's more than you need to know for the 270 exam, but it will help you understand GPO's better.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also if you have anything specific you don't understand, ask away. It can be easier to understand an explanation when it's in reply to a question, rather than just some long-winded text in a book.

Sometimes all it takes is a single light bulb to come on, then you see the whole picture. icon_idea.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. The inheritance is what has been a little difficult to grasp on how it applies using the No Override and Block Inheritance options. I'm starting to sort through it but i'm very much a hands-on learner and it's difficult to replicate domain and site GPO without having a lab setup. I'm using virtualization right now and i am setting up a network through that with 2K3 server (working towards my MCSE) as well as a physical network lab for practice.
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    LSDOU is probably the most important thing you need to remember when it comes to inheritance.

Local < Site < Domain < OU

The Microsoft Press 70-270 book gives you a good run-down on how GPOs are assigned and the inheritance process.

Thanks for the mnemonic acronym....i just had a practice question about which policy would be applied if there were conflicts and I was able to figure it out with the LSDOU.