Options

New job?

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I would stay where you are doing the WIndows server admin work and making more money. Start getting some certs to go with that experience and youre good to go.

After talking to HeroPsycho that's what I have decided to do. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After talking to HeroPsycho that's what I have decided to do. icon_thumright.gif

No, no, NO! You're supposed to listen to Hero and then do the opposite of what he says icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ unixguy
    If it's desktop Linux support, then don't go .. It's not worth it and it's not a good experience.

meaning? no offense, but how come you start like to dictate others life? it seems that you are not giving her good opinion - you push her.

its better just let her to decide.

and what is the bad thing being a desktop support?
    not good experience? can you be more specific?

@ dynamik

how are you doing now?
    does everything goes well?
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm not pushing anybody icon_lol.gif

I'm just saying my opinion. And in my opinion server support pays more than desktop support most of the time.

@ unixguy

meaning? no offense, but how come you start like to dictate others life? it seems that you are not giving her good opinion - you push her.

and what is the bad thing being a desktop support?
    not good experience? can you be more specific?

@ dynamik

how are you doing now?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm just saying my opinion. And in my opinion server support pays more than desktop support most of the time.

I don't think many would argue with that, but you need to work up to that level. Even if you are given an opportunity, if you get in over your head and mess things up, you're probably not going to be any better for it.
    @ dynamik

how are you doing now?

Ok. I'm hanging in there. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »
    No, no, NO! You're supposed to listen to Hero and then do the opposite of what he says icon_lol.gif

And on that note, dynamik is a very brilliant, smart guy. You should definitely listen to him... icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    And on that note, dynamik is a very brilliant, smart guy. You should definitely listen to him... icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif you guys are too funny
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I don't think it's a good idea to accept a lower payment than your old job, unless there's a big experience difference in the new job
    There are other other things to consider in the new job offer besides salary, such as:
    • better benefits
    • better educational reimbursement
    • better opportunity for advancement
    • better prospect for long-term employment
    • it's the direction you really want to take your career
    • it's more accommodating to your lifestyle
  • Options
    That's true, I agree...I don't know much about the history of her employment, so I gave a general opinion..and I tend not to believe all promises employers give :)
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There are other other things to consider in the new job offer besides salary, such as:
    • better benefits

• Options
    Yes I can't agree more on this, building the experience from ground up is essential, it gives you confidence and you can always advance from there.

Best thing is to get an opportunity as a junior server support engineer, so you can start from simple tasks and get help for complicated tasks, that's how you can grow IMHO

dynamik wrote: »
    I don't think many would argue with that, but you need to work up to that level. Even if you are given an opportunity, if you get in over your head and mess things up, you're probably not going to be any better for it.

Ok. I'm hanging in there. Thanks for asking.

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    @ unixguy

She was asking for advice, so I don't see the problem here.

YOU MUST CHILL! YOU MUST CHILL! I HAVE TAKEN YOUR CAR KEYS...

CHILL!!!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    She was asking for advice, so I don't see the problem here.

YOU MUST CHILL! YOU MUST CHILL! I HAVE TAKEN YOUR CAR KEYS...

CHILL!!!

LOL

you're nuts icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ..and I tend not to believe all promises employers give :)
    Yes, quite true. You can only depend on programs that the employer already has in-place and operating. The "Yeah, we're thinking of doing something like..." promises should be considered as "will never happen." Never change your job based on promises that might happen.

Not that this has ever happened to me, mind you... ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yes, quite true. You can only depend on programs that the employer already has in-place and operating. The "Yeah, we're thinking of doing something like..." promises should be considered as "will never happen." Never change your job based on promises that might happen.

And get everything in writing! :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    And get everything in writing! :D
    Yeah, right. No employer would do that unless there were actual legalities involved in the promises. icon_tongue.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    damn, i was goin to say congrats, but i see after i read further you didnt accept the offer. but i understand. i'd want a new job too thats comparable to my current salary. best of luck tho FTB, i'm sure you'll find a job that you really want, and that will pay you in the range that you're looking for....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Yeah, right. No employer would do that unless there were actual legalities involved in the promises. icon_tongue.gif

Actually the offer should be in writing. Legally once an offer is made its near impossible to retract what they offer. I work for the nations largest bank and formerly one of the largest wealth management companies in the world and when we were doing layoffs we had offered jobs to two contingent workers and they still hadnt started yet and we had to lay off permanent employees because they said it was easier than rescinding offers. My job offer was given to me in writing with my pay and everything.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I work for the nations largest bank and formerly one of the largest wealth management companies in the world

Did they take bailout funds?
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    miller811 wrote: »
    Did they take bailout funds?

Corporate policy prevents me from answering that icon_wink.gif lol....
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Corporate policy prevents me from answering that icon_wink.gif lol....

Sorry, dude,,, I could not resist....icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    • better benefits
    Very good points. I've got a couple things to add to that:
    - commute: if the new job is easier to get to or considerably closer, add up how much gas/time you would save. I've turned down a higher paying job for a lower paying one that was much closer...it was a 30-60 minute commute vs a 5-10 minute commute. No contest there for me.
    - quality of life/sanity: this one's pretty self-explanatory! If you would enjoy the new job more than your current one (or if your current job is making you so batty that it's affecting your overall happiness), and if money's not a big issue (i.e. if you've got a surplus now and a small cut wouldn't mean taking food off the table) then it might be worth your happiness to take a slight pay cut. In this case it sounds like it would be a bit more than "slight" though.

Have you given them an official "no" yet? If you haven't, and if the pay is the main thing keeping you from taking this job, then why not try to negotiate a bit & see if you can get them to come up a bit? Heck, even if you don't want it, you can use this as an opportunity to practice negotiation a bit!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    Very good points. I've got a couple things to add to that:
    - commute: if the new job is easier to get to or considerably closer, add up how much gas/time you would save. I've turned down a higher paying job for a lower paying one that was much closer...it was a 30-60 minute commute vs a 5-10 minute commute. No contest there for me.
    - quality of life/sanity: this one's pretty self-explanatory! If you would enjoy the new job more than your current one (or if your current job is making you so batty that it's affecting your overall happiness), and if money's not a big issue (i.e. if you've got a surplus now and a small cut wouldn't mean taking food off the table) then it might be worth your happiness to take a slight pay cut. In this case it sounds like it would be a bit more than "slight" though.

Have you given them an official "no" yet? If you haven't, and if the pay is the main thing keeping you from taking this job, then why not try to negotiate a bit & see if you can get them to come up a bit? Heck, even if you don't want it, you can use this as an opportunity to practice negotiation a bit!

I gave them the official no today. He had told me that they wouldn't be able to negotiate the price because of the SEP IRA.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I gave them the official no today. He had told me that they wouldn't be able to negotiate the price because of the SEP IRA.
    well that's stinky. Their loss.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    well that's stinky. Their loss.

Ah well, at least I'm employed still icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I have received a call back from the other company I interviewed with for a second interview. They also called my references last Friday. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have received a call back from the other company I interviewed with for a second interview. They also called my references last Friday. icon_thumright.gif

Awesome! Hopefully this one offers a better opportunity for you.
  • Options
    Awesome! Hopefully this one offers a better opportunity for you.

Well it's alright half the distance! icon_thumright.gif

The job description said $35,000-$45,000. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Best of luck with this one!!!
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    Leaving for my interview in 54 minutes!! :D
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Leaving for my interview in 54 minutes!! :D

Good luck, hope it all works out for you F2B icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln