Options

internet connection sharing problem

awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I suddenly have developed a internet connection problem

i have usb cable modem connected to a host xp home computer (which has a internet connection working) and a client xp pc connected to the host via a crossover cable connection.

i run the network setup wizard and follow the instructions as followed on each pc but i am still not getting a internet connection on the client pc. my default gateway is 192.168.0.1 shown on the host(which what it supposed to be) but not shown on the client inthe network connection window which normally is.

In the network connections on the host. everything is enabled and there are no conflicts! i am in a quandry. i also cannot seem to ping each pc- which could mean connectivity problem. But, it also says on the client pc that bytes are being sent and recieved in local area connection box.

Normally, i shut my pcs off which leads to me having to reset my net connection on the client by running the wizard again. But, this time it didnt work!

can anyone help me, thanks in advance ??

additional info update: I have also have a problem connecting to the other persons folder from either pc.But, there are on meant to be in the same workgroup.- which i have called mshome.

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Go to this site....they tell you everything you need to know about your problem... http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Also, check into buying a router, it will save you a head ache...Good Luck!
  • Options
    BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is your computer directly connected to the net? I think so since you are using a modem. Since there is no DHCP, did you manually give your other pc an IP address? Are you sure its in the same range? If you ran the wizard, did you make a network disk and run it on the other pc?

Theory, not sure of myself. I thought that you can't get internet connection through a patch cable. If that is the only way you are connecting to the other pc, then I believe you are not going to get your connection. Do you have a regular cat5 network cable that you can try? Or what about taking the modem out of your USB, pluging it into the other pc's USB and then seeing if you can get on.

Good luck, but I think it has to do with the patch.
  • Options
    thanks, i will have a look at that site . i will buy a router when ibuy a third machine/notebook
  • Options
    BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All you need is a hub/switch/router that can do nat and you are all set. Just checked newegg and you can spend from $20- the hundreds.

Good luck
  • Options
    u can connect to another pc with a crossover.

I have just fixed the file sharing problem and can access the other pcs shared folders. If i try to bridge; the problem then occurs.- regarding the internet connection sharing.