Options

2005 or 2009 objectives?

weezerguy187weezerguy187 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I'm about to start studying for the Network+ cert and I was wondering which version I should study for. I know the 2005 test expires in July, but should i just go ahead and study for the 2009 one now? I saw that Mike Myers just came out with a 2009 version of his book.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Either is fine.

If you can be ready before the change over, then take the current exam. If you need additional time, take the new one when it is release.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PcMojoPcMojo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering the same thing but decided against the 2009 because there just isn't much studying material available yet with the new objectives. From what I understand they have added quite a bit on topics of security and wireless networking, so much so that they even changed the test number to the 04. I have decided to take the older test because of this, but still run into problems with finding material covering the objectives. I can find books on network+ that are highly recommended on the usual bookstore sites. But if you read the reviews closely you find the reviews from 2005 say that this book is great. Reviews from 2007 and 2008 start complaining that there were entire sections of questions on the test that wasn't covered in the book. According to Comptia they added objectives in 2007 and 2008 so this would make sense. The question is, how do you find books and test preparation materials with the most current objectives? Anybody have any ideas on test preparation materials for the N10-003 Network+ including 2007 and 2008 objectives?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    just to clarify - there are two choices here:
    - 2007 VERSION, based on the 2005 objectives...they just call it "2007 version" because there have been some updated questions, but the subject matter of the test is the 2005 objectives.
    - 2009 exam, based on the 2009 objectives.
    There are no 2008 version exams referenced anywhere on CompTIA's website, so either that was hearsay or a typo, not sure, but I wanted to clarify just in case.

There are VERY few books out for the 2009 objectives/exam, and I've heard many people say that new CompTIA exams are somewhat painful as they haven't worked out the kinks in the questions yet...so my recommendation would be that if you can prepare for the 2007 version before it expires at the end of July, then go for it. Either exam will earn you the Network+ certification/title, so unless your employer is requiring a specific version, it's up to you.

As for finding books, you can try doing a search on Amazon.com's books section - just type in Network+ in the search box & sort by release date...that will give you the most recent network+ books, likely for the 2009 exam. ALWAYS CHECK the exam version before buying a book (and a voucher, too). If you want 2005/2007, it's N10-003...if you want to take the new 2009 exam, it's N10-004.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion