MCSA in 6 months doable?

2»

Comments

• calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Really, which companies are these that are adopting Vista? I've worked at south bay and peninsula biopharm companies with lots of funding and decent IT depts. Also done some work for some banks with rather sophisticated IT, and a client which covers enough points of entry to the US that I hade to get homeland security clearance. None of them had a vista. Maybe at software development companies?
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Really, which companies are these that are adopting Vista? I've worked at south bay and peninsula biopharm companies with lots of funding and decent IT depts. Also done some work for some banks with rather sophisticated IT, and a client which covers enough points of entry to the US that I hade to get homeland security clearance. None of them had a vista. Maybe at software development companies?
    Mind Control Software, EA, Nacio Systems, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, College of Marin, Santa Rosa Junior College, EndSight Inc., 2K Games, Lucas Arts, Pixar, Autodesk, and quite a few others have begun or have already adopted both Vista and Server 2008. Like I said, the companies that are willing to spend the money on the hardware to run newer software. Not all companies will make the move, especially if they spent a significant chunk of change on deploying an XP-based environment to specific standards, such as the one you mentioned that uses the Department of Homeland Security standards. Other companies, ones that moved up or secured themselves after Vista launched, would be using Vista. A great place to see companies that are working to bring bring NSA-level security to Vista is at the RSA Security Conference, for example.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    At my previous position (state government department) we were preparing to roll out Vista. It's probably been finished or is almost done by now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vista started picking up some steam about now, especially with SP2 looming on the horizon.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    undomiel wrote: »
    At my previous position (state government department) we were preparing to roll out Vista. It's probably been finished or is almost done by now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vista started picking up some steam about now, especially with SP2 looming on the horizon.
    And also with Dell and HP forcing you to buy Vista. They charge us a $130 "downgrade" fee if we want XP, per computer.
  • cbriantcbriant Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Shadow wrote: »
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not. I've heard for the 70-270 exam its best just to start taking practice exams; vs. spending time studying.

MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)

I'd say start of by using practice exams and go through every single question in the exam. When you read the explanation back up this information, by researching it from the book and the Web. This is a much quicker way to learn, reading the books from cover to cover won't stick in your memory.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    cbriant wrote: »
    I'd say start of by using practice exams and go through every single question in the exam. When you read the explanation back up this information, by researching it from the book and the Web. This is a much quicker way to learn, reading the books from cover to cover won't stick in your memory.

Perhaps it doesn't stick in your head. :) So what about all the information that isn't covered on the exam that is in the book, that you might need in the real world?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A lot of what is on the exam isn't the way it is done in the real world. It's Microsoft's way. There are so many third party tools and "shortcuts" that we take that are contridictions to Microsoft's way that is tested on the exam.

The book and practice exams are for passing the exam. Your experience and knowledge are what you use in the real world. :)

But, I'd say read the book first to get the general concepts. Maybe you won't remember them, maybe you will. But, then go through the exams and look things up as suggested. It will reinforce what you read in the book and things will stick better. And, sometimes it won't click right with what you read online or in the exams. The book may have a better explaination for it that works with you. I've found that sometimes 5 sources are confusing to me, and I find one gem of a site (or article or how-to...) that explains it so I can understand it fully. The more resources you have, the better you'll be in the long run. Just do what works for you. There are some people that can read a book and understand and retain everything in it. I'm not like that. I'm a hands on person. I can read and read and not get it. I can do it once and I an golden. Others are the complete opposite.

And I hope the MCSA is doable in 6 months, because I have 3 months to do the 290 and the 291 (the 620 and A+/Net+ are already out of the way!). :) Free exams from MS for taking the pilot exam. :D Study, study, study is my motto lately. Just set the goal and GO FOR IT. You'll do it if you are determined and very goal oriented. It's there, waiting for you to go get it. Do it. You'll make it, and come September, you'll be posting here with the topic "MCSA: Done in 6 months!". :D

Don't even need to say it, because luck doesn't have anything to do with it: Good luck, man!
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    PC509 wrote: »
    And I hope the MCSA is doable in 6 months, because I have 3 months to do the 290 and the 291 (the 620 and A+/Net+ are already out of the way!). :) Free exams from MS for taking the pilot exam. :D Study, study, study is my motto lately. Just set the goal and GO FOR IT. You'll do it if you are determined and very goal oriented. It's there, waiting for you to go get it. Do it. You'll make it, and come September, you'll be posting here with the topic "MCSA: Done in 6 months!". :D

Don't even need to say it, because luck doesn't have anything to do with it: Good luck, man!

+1 :) Well said.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA is doable in 1 day. That is of course you have experience. MCSA in 6 months means squat. Do you plan on spending 1 hour a month or 3 hours a day for 6 months? Catch my drift? With no certs, a good head on your shoulder where IT stuff comes naturally to you, you can easily get MCSA in 6 months.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Shadow wrote: »
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not. I've heard for the 70-270 exam its best just to start taking practice exams; vs. spending time studying.

MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)

It's likely a ****, and as other have stated you do yourself no favors in studying with **** material, anyone can memorize the answers.

The best studying is always hands on, I usually combine my home VMWare lab with books (usually the MS or Cisco Press books, but I like Sybex as well) and I learn better with visual aid so I always watch the CBTNuggets or Trainsignal videos.

An MCSA in 6 months is very doable, especially since you already have the Security plus and remember when you set up a lab environment and test out the interactions of installing the server components and the clients you are basically studying for all 3 exams at the same time.

Personally, I found 70-290 to be a breeze, 70-270 was a ***** (know command line switches for this one), and I never took 70-291, although I just annihilated it's 2008 equivalent on Saturday (but everyone I've spoken with said its easier than the 03 track.)
  • blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Mind Control Software, EA, Nacio Systems, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, College of Marin, Santa Rosa Junior College, EndSight Inc., 2K Games, Lucas Arts, Pixar, Autodesk, and quite a few others have begun or have already adopted both Vista and Server 2008. Like I said, the companies that are willing to spend the money on the hardware to run newer software. Not all companies will make the move, especially if they spent a significant chunk of change on deploying an XP-based environment to specific standards, such as the one you mentioned that uses the Department of Homeland Security standards. Other companies, ones that moved up or secured themselves after Vista launched, would be using Vista. A great place to see companies that are working to bring bring NSA-level security to Vista is at the RSA Security Conference, for example.

My company is in the middle of upgrading everything. In fact that are only paying for exams on the 08 track.
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    I got A+/Net+/Sec+/MCP/MCSA all in 3 weeks..

so um.. yeah 6months is doable icon_cool.gif
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Finished up my MCSA today. Started in December and finished at end of march. Took some time off around christmas and new year and dragged my feet at the beginnining - all in all - 4 months.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"