Options

Best Book For IOS Command

Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Which book should I buy between the Cisco IOS Cookbook and the Cisco IOS in a Nutshell ? both from O'Reilly. Or if you have something better, please tell me.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Honestly, with the amount of variation between the IOS commands that are supported on each platform, I find cisco.com to be the best reference for specific commands, particularly the configuration guides for whatever switch/router I'm on. That's how I figured out why a 4900 wouldn't let me set the encapsulation on a trunk to dot1q! (It only supports dot1q trunking, so the encapsulation command bombs.) :)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was first starting out, I picked up the IOS in a Nutshell book, and it was a good starting point. Now I rarely use it because things have changed, and like redwarrior stated, there is variation between platforms that cisco.com or a google search becomes the better tools.

I've thumbed through the IOS Cookbook, and not certain I'd consider it an IOS book....at least not like the Nutshell book.

Just all depends on what you are looking for.
  • Options
    vinnyjonesvinnyjones Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seeing as you are studying for BSCI, you might want to look into:

CCNP BSCI Portable Command Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Scott Empson: Books

I am also studying for BSCI and have so far found this to be quite useful...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The IOS cookbook is excellent for routers, very thin coverage on switches

I have a copy and it's a great how-to guide for a lot of different scenarios

Look through one in a bookstore to see if it's for you

If you can't find one in a store, O'Reilly has a sample chapter here:

Cisco IOS Cookbook | O'Reilly Media

If you get a copy, make sure it's the 2nd edition (although a used copy of the 1st edition might be a lot cheaper and it's still pretty good)
  • Options
    Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vinnyjones wrote: »
    Seeing as you are studying for BSCI, you might want to look into:

CCNP BSCI Portable Command Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Scott Empson: Books

I am also studying for BSCI and have so far found this to be quite useful...

All right, for the prize I think I'm going with this book and like others said, cisco.com seems to be the most up to date and the more platform-specific resource available.